Laptop problem diagnosing

RamDealer

My laptop had a problem with the heating, when I start Windows it started to work at max RPM (the video card was not showing in the device manager or was shown as an unknown device, every time I restart), after a few restarts within 10 minutes, the fan started working on low RPM, the RPM do change but only in a small border while the speedfan software does not show the RPM at all, the HW monitor software shows something between 2000 and 3000, while the real is much less. I fixed the video card, but the fan problems still persists.

Can you tell me whats going on? Is tha fan burned out, or whatever is controlling it on the motherboard? Since the fan is still working it might be ok, but since the RPM really are changed, I guess that whatever is controlling it is ok, but the current supplied is much less. Perhaps there is a burned defence?

Darren

Staff member
Flash BIOS? If that doesn't work disconnect power and battery and let it sit for 15 minutes or so and let all power completely drain from it. Sometimes fans can get freaked out and a hard power cycle can fix that.