***Laptop Questions***

Tech_Girl

Hey everyone, I'm new here. I'm going off to university next year and am planning on selling my desktop (1 year old) and getting a laptop. I plan to use it for email/internet, instant messaging, word processing, downloading/watching movies, listening to music, watching DVDs, and burning CDS once in awhile. I don't plan on doing any heavy gaming. I have some questions:

Are laptops really just as good as desktops? Do they tend to go bad more quickly of have more problems associated with them? What are the pros/cons of laptops?

The CDRW and DVD drive in laptops seem to have slower speeds than desktops. My computer's CDRW is 52X24X52 and my DVD drive is 16X. On the laptops i've been looking at, the speeds have been much slower. Why is this? And would you notice a big difference? Also, what does a 24x/24x/4x CDRW equal?...Would you add the numbers to get a 52X drive or is it just a 24X drive?

Does heavier=Better made?

All laptops I've found out have combo drives. I've heard that sometimes there are problems with combo drives...is that true?

What are the top brands of laptops? (I heard pretty good things about Toshiba, but not so good things about Compaq). And what are some pros/cons of them (if you know of any). What brands have good reps when it comes to screen quality, sturdy construction, easy-to-use keyboard, etc.?

Can you get laptops with floppy drives built in to them? All the ones I've seen require you to buy an external floppy drive seperately.

Concerning resolution, what is a good one to have? I was told that 1280X800 isn't so good. But can't you change your resolution to whatever you want? Or can you not do this on laptops without making the picture fuzzy?

What processor is better: Intel or AMD? (big debate, I know)

The hard drive speeds in laptops is slower than desktops I've noticed (4200 rpm compared to 7200 rpm). Would you notice a difference?

What are some laptops you would recommend for around $1500 CDN?

Sorry for all the questions, but it will really help. Thanks!

Super_Nova

Toshibas are good. I know cause I use to fix broke ones :) AMD is better . Laptop drives are slower because of their size. General rule, smaller is slower and more expensive. You use to be able to get a laptop with an internal floppy, and probably still can, but since floppies aren't as popular anymore they aren't as important. I'd suggest storing your stuff on a USB pen drive. If you go toshiba stay away from the Satellite pro 6100. its an older model but you might come across it. It has major design flaws and breaks quite often. We got so many in that I made a poster with the part numbers and put it on the wall at my old job so we could order parts quickly. I configured this:
http://www.acompinc.com/ppf/iid/204345/smoreinfo.asp
rather nicely for around $1500. I think it would suit your needs.

If you want to spend a little more this:
http://www.acompinc.com/ppf/iid/204150/smoreinfo.asp
kicks butt!!

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Are laptops really just as good as desktops?
For what you have in mind, yes.

Do they tend to go bad more quickly of have more problems associated with them?
The definitely "go bad more quickly" and from a financial perspective a much less worthy buy. Ive got a laptop and I regret it even though I use it all the time :p

What are the pros/cons of laptops?
Pro: small, supposedly-quiet, supposedly-not-hot, portable, doesnt get affected by power outs
Cons: stealable, expensive, poor upgradability, much less comparable than a desktop for the same price

Does heavier=Better made?
In many cases yes.

i've been looking at, the speeds have been much slower. Why is this?
Because perhaps you've been looking at some wierd laptops? Most laptop DVDs are 16X and only some (very rare though) are 12X. The drop in speed is to save on the battery.

Also, what does a 24x/24x/4x CDRW equal?...Would you add the numbers to get a 52X drive or is it just a 24X drive?
?! CDR = 24X, CDROM = 24X, CDRW = 4X

All laptops I've found out have combo drives. I've heard that sometimes there are problems with combo drives...is that true?
Theres problems with everything at some point everywhere

What are the top brands of laptops?
Brands dont really matter all that much (just like desktops) until you start spending 4,5, 6 thousdand dollars. All brand names will have their happy stores and all will have their not-so-happy stories :)

What brands have good reps when it comes to screen quality, sturdy construction, easy-to-use keyboard, etc.?
Ditto.

Can you get laptops with floppy drives built in to them?
You can but not commonly anymore. Theres almost no use for it on laptops (mostly because there often isnt a way to upgrade the BIOS or anything)

Concerning resolution, what is a good one to have? I
Look at it! If it looks good to you then its good :)

What processor is better: Intel or AMD? (big debate, I know)
Neither. Both.

The hard drive speeds in laptops is slower than desktops I've noticed (4200 rpm compared to 7200 rpm). Would you notice a difference?
4200rpm is the "old standard" for laptops and is mostly phased out except for cheaper 'books. 5400 is more common. As for difference you prolly would.

What are some laptops you would recommend for around $1500 CDN?
Anything you find really. For that price range, most of the books are roughly the same :)