laptop ram

Jon

i dont know what to do whether to buy another stick of 512 ram to make my total 1gig, or, to save up lots :S and buy a gig stick, but gig sticks are so expensive, is there much differance between 1.0 and 1.5 for gaming?

thanks

Jon

mine does support dual channel but it also supports up to 4gb, so i was considering getting more thn just 1 gig, but i dunno :S

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Before you get any RAM, you should be sure you're getting the correct type, speed, and that you even have an extra slot. Some laptops can be tricky, too... Mine, for example, has an empty slot, but it's not usable. Basically, it's for non-removable RAM that wasn't installed by Averatec. In other words, only a single usable slot.

Jon

right i definately know that there is a spare slot and that it is useable. i takes ddr2 so any speed is compatible.

just gonna be playing games like battlefield 1942 (which works fine on 512 anyway) dawn of war, command and conquer generals and new one wen it comes out, joint operations which is a little jerky atm which is why i want the extra ram, and i might get battlefield 2, unreal 2007, company of heroes etc in the future.

thanks ppl

The_Other_One

VIP Member
i takes ddr2 so any speed is compatible.
Any DDR2 speed... And if you get slower than what you already have, you'll slow the system down.

Also realize RAM doesn't really increase performace. It'll help things load faster and what not, but raw gamming performace and what not is based on the GPU

Jon

well take this as an example, i just downloaded the cod2 demo and the graphics look realy good on my laptop, but, even on lowest settings and lowest res. it is too jerky to really play it, so buying more ram would reduce this wouldnt it?