Laptop randomly shuts down

Whitebird

My laptop which I purchased in August 2011 randomly shuts down for the past month. With randomly I mean: working in Netbeans and just goes black, like it's overheated, but it's not.

It happens while it's connected with a power source and also when it's only running on battery. It happens both in Ubuntu and Windows 7 x64 Ultimate. (so I suspect a hardware failure.)

My complete specs, including S.M.A.R.T. data are here (speccy). (specs in my footer are from my main desktop)

I'm suspecting hardware failure, but I'd like to know first what piece of my hardware is failing. For now I don't know what to test.

Fira

banned
I would recommend that you go to
#1: start
#2: Control Panel
#3: Check all especially Power Options
#4: Go to a store say Wal Mart and ask for recommended software to protect
against
keyl**** (keyloggers
keylogger
virus
viruses
trojan horse
trojan horses
spyware
spywares
adware
adwares
malware
malwares
slow down
slow downs
etc.
)
#5: If you buy such a product [say Norton latest for example] install it.
#6: If still not working I highly recommend you take your laptop to a computer store.

Great luck to you and hope you get your problem(s) fixed :) : )

Whitebird

Thanks, but I already have Microsoft security essentials and Malwarebytes anti-malware installed. It's not a software related issue.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Even though you are running MSE, you still may have infections on your system. However, I would start by downloading and making a seatools bootable cd and run the extended test on your seagate hard drive to test for errors. When it shuts down, can you immediately turn it back on or do you have to wait? If immediately then I doubt its overheating. My first suspicion would be the hard drive has errors.

Get seatools for dos from here.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Whitebird

I can immedeatly turn it back on. Thank you very much for the link. Will test and report back here.

Russ88765

Is the laptop getting particularly hot when it shuts down? I'm thinking maybe the cpu could be overheating and going into emergency shut off. Check temperatures of cpu and gpu once you get it under heavy workload. A laptop cooler might be a solid investment if it turns out to be the case.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Is the laptop getting particularly hot when it shuts down? I'm thinking maybe the cpu could be overheating and going into emergency shut off. Check temperatures of cpu and gpu once you get it under heavy workload. A laptop cooler might be a solid investment if it turns out to be the case.

Use to have that problem on a Dell, one of my fans went out and the laptop would get hot and shut down. This happened one week after my warranty expired with them, luckily it only cost my $20 for the new fan from Dell.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I can immedeatly turn it back on. Thank you very much for the link. Will test and report back here.

If you can immediately turn it back on, I doubt its overheating. When it overheats, it requires some time to cool down before it will allow you to turn it back on. I suspect bad hardware probably hard drive.

Whitebird

I've scanned with some utils on Hirens bootCd (also with the seagate dos tools) and it found nothing, Hdtools gave an all green grid (not a fast scan). I'm stumped!

What is the next piece of hardware I have to test?

DMGrier

VIP Member
It could be a motherboard problem, which would not be good but not the hardest think to replace in the world.