Laptop running hot

eem2am

Hi,
My Lenovo Yoga 510 laptop has suddenly started running hot. The fan sounds like its on full all the time...and it feels hot underneath.
I wonder if it has some virus which makes the CPU run lots of pointless operations so it overheats and dies.
How do i find out whats wrong?

Attachments

• lonovo yoga 510.jpg
    lonovo yoga 510.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 8

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Open task manager to check cpu usage. It seems your laptop is about 5 years old now. Have you checked to see if there is dust bunnies in the exhaust port? It's also possible the thermal paste could be dried out and is causing the heat to not transfer correctly to heatsink. If the cpu usage is low then you need to have someone tear down the laptop to verify dust blocking the cooling fan or thermal paste possibility.

eem2am

Thanks, my CPU useage is as attached. I wouldnt know if it was high or low?
This is with the laptop doing "nothing"
I wonder if it has a temperature monitor for the CPU?

I wonder if there are youtube videos showing how i can unscrew the back and get to the cpu and remove the heatink and re-paste it etc?

Attachments

• CPU USEAGE.jpg
    CPU USEAGE.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 7

Darren

Staff member
That's 80 percent utiliziation, which is kinda high for doing "nothing".

Go to the processes tab and sort by CPU. Show us what's using up that CPU.

Example

1630646467059.png

You can also install and run HWMonitor to get your temperatures.

eem2am

Thanks,
Unfortunately this laptop now wont boot up.....when i press the ON button, a black screen showing the word "Lenovo" shows up...and it wont do anything else.....if a then press CTRL-ALT-DEL, then it shows up "checking media_"

It then sometimes shows a screen saying "BOOT MANAGER", and offers me some options, but even if i choose one, nothing happens.
Do you know what i can do to solve this?

Could it be the power supply? This computer is about 5 years old and i guess laptop power supplies dont last much longer than that?...having said that, it does this fault when i try and boot it off just battery.

Now maplins has closed, how do you buy laptop power supplies?.....its impossible to know what connector it has, so you cant order one...there is no part number.

eem2am

Thanks, it looks like i wont be able to get this Lenovo Yoga 510 laptop booted up again.
Any ideas of some way to breathe some life back into it?

Last edited:

eem2am

Hi,
Its hours later, and ...
I have just plugged the Lenovo Yoga 510 Laptop back in and its now working fine, and charging fine, so its a bit confusing what's going on?

Also, do you know why the "Device setup Manager" is taking up so much CPU resource? (as attached)
Would it be OK to "stop" this? This high level of activity is with the laptop "doing nothing".

I am wondering if this is what's making it run hot? (fan going even when doing nothing).
Also attached is disk useage for the lenove yoga.

Have you checked to see if there is dust bunnies in the exhaust port?
Hi, yes i opened it, and theres no dust in there.....the gauss that covers the air vents is also not blocked by dust....but its a fine pitch gauss, and when you blow through it it hardly lets any air through, let alone dust.

Attachments

• CPU USEAGE_210917_LENOVO YOGA 510.jpg
    CPU USEAGE_210917_LENOVO YOGA 510.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 3
  • disk USEAGE_210917_LENOVO YOGA 510.jpg
    disk USEAGE_210917_LENOVO YOGA 510.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Device setup manager is exactly that, it detects new hardware and installs drivers for it. Unless you just attached new hardware or just reinstalled windows it shouldn't even be running.

Download and install coretemp since this has an amd processor and check temps.

If the thermal paste has dried up and not transferring the heat away from the cpu then the cpu will throttle back and slow down dramatically.

Have you ran malwarebytes on it to verify its clean? Has the machine ever just shut off due to overheating? If so, that is what may be causing the boot manager error. So next steps should be are the following.

1. Test hard drive to make sure its good
2. Might have to replace thermal paste between cpu and heatsink. Hopefully coretemp will tell you the temp reading of the cpu.
3. Run Malwarebytes and Ccleaner to verify system is not infected. Ccleaner will actually remove temporary files not needed anymore and make the system a little faster possibly.

Again as with the other laptop you are having an issue with is that its only a dual core cpu and 4gb of ram and most likely a mechanical hard drive instead of an SSD. It's gonna be slow to begin with.

eem2am

Thankyou very much.
I will run the malwarebytes and ccleaner and coretemp.
Indicentally, the Lenovo yoga 510 ran perfectly for hours yesterday, then this morning wouldnt boot up again...and gave the "BOOT MANAGER" error...........so sometimes its good, sometimes not.......i just rebooted it....and its up OK.....so its an intermittent error.

What if you already have Norton 360?....can you still run malwarebytes?

Which is the best www from which to download coretemp?

Last edited:

eem2am

Hi,
I just ran coretemp on the Lenovo yoga 510 when its "not doing anything" and it is as attached (61degC). Is that too hot?

Attachments

• coretemp  _Lenovo yoga 510  _210918.jpg
    coretemp _Lenovo yoga 510 _210918.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 3

eem2am

Device setup manager is exactly that, it detects new hardware and installs drivers for it. Unless you just attached new hardware or just reinstalled windows it shouldn't even be running.
Thanks, I just right clicked to try and stop "device setup manager", and it gave me a warning saying my computer operating system could get problems and cause the laptop to shut down if i try and stop it

Do you know how i can stop the "device setup manager" from running?

Attachments

• Task manager   _Lenovo yoga 510  _210918 _Warning.jpg
    Task manager _Lenovo yoga 510 _210918 _Warning.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 2

eem2am

1. Test hard drive to make sure its good
2. Might have to replace thermal paste between cpu and heatsink. Hopefully coretemp will tell you the temp reading of the cpu.
3. Run Malwarebytes and Ccleaner to verify system is not infected. Ccleaner will actually remove temporary files not needed anymore and make the system a little faster possibly.
Thanks
I have now run malwarebytes (4 things quarantined) , ccleaner (many trackers etc removed) and coretemp (61degc core temp) on the Lenovo yoga 510 laptop.

Do you know how i run a hard drive check?

Also, is there a checker for supply voltage, just in case the laptop power supply is worn out?

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,
I just ran coretemp on the Lenovo yoga 510 when its "not doing anything" and it is as attached (61degC). Is that too hot?
According to that image, load is at 73%, max operating temp is between 90 and 100
Do you know how i can stop the "device setup manager" from running?
If its giving you that warning, then its best not to stop it and figure out why its running to begin with.
Do you know how i run a hard drive check?
What brand of hard drive is in it? Go into device manager, expand Disk Drives section and see what model number is listed. You'll then need to download the appropriate program to read that brand of drive.
Also, is there a checker for supply voltage, just in case the laptop power supply is worn out?
Your issue has nothing to do with the power supply. If the laptop is charging when plugged in then its good.

My best guess is that you keep getting the boot manager error which means your hard drive is most likely failing and needs to be replaced. It would be in your best interest to back up any data you need off the drive before it goes out totally.

eem2am

Thanks, my Hard disk drive is as attached.

its a
WDC WD10SPCX-24HWST1

Laptop is Lenovo yoga 510

Attachments

• hard disk drive _lenovo yoga 510 _210918.jpg
    hard disk drive _lenovo yoga 510 _210918.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 2

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Then you need this to test it.

Run the short test first, will only take a few minutes and then run the long test if the short test passes.

eem2am

Thanks, the short Hard disk drive test passed.
The longer one could take hours, so i will run this through the night.
I believe that i will have to set the sleep time of the laptop to 10 hours or so, otherwise laptop will go to sleep
during the hard disk test? Thankyou sir for your great help!

Attachments

• Short test passed_lenovo yoga 510.jpg
    Short test passed_lenovo yoga 510.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 1

beers

Staff member
just ran coretemp on the Lenovo yoga 510 when its "not doing anything" and it is as attached (61degC). Is that too hot?
That's pretty normal. My 5900hx doesn't even really kick on fans until around 60C.

The main issue was the 'idle' CPU utilization which is usually bloatware/malware or extra shit running for zero reason.

eem2am

The main issue was the 'idle' CPU utilization which is usually bloatware/malware or extra shit running for zero reason.
Thanks, i loaded malwarebytes, but this high utilisation of the CPU is still ongoing.......the Lenovo yoga 510 laptop is currently running the extended hard disk check.
Incidentally, the Lenovo 510 worked fine for some 2 hours today, then just basically kept freezing and hanging so much that it was totally unusable.........so i switched it off...then 1 hour later, turned it back on and its now running the extended hard drive check, kindly recomended above by JohnB35.

Ive got no idea why the "device setup manager" is running. And advice sir?