Laptop screen turns into the matrix when pressure is applied to new keyboard

I recently changed a laptop keyboard on an Asus X501a. Upon installing it, applying the plastic sheet between the components underneath and closing it back up, pressing on the keyboard (especially around the spacebar area) I get a screen full of lines and inconsistent mess. See the attached image. Any ideas on what could be causing this? I can only explain it to be the matrix.

Attachments

• 13840407_10154118858980804_1438007284_o.jpg
    13840407_10154118858980804_1438007284_o.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 9

beers

Staff member
I'd reattach the display cable to the mainboard, sounds like it might have been unseated slightly and pressure on the chassis moves it.

I could be full of crap too.

Now when I apply the keyboard assembly bezel to the laptop with the components seated, it shuts it off and this is with everything unplugged. Putting pressure on the motherboard with a non metallic object (as much as I'd put on the keyboard) is fine. As soon as I clip the keyboard down. boom. gone. What on earth? I've covered as much of the metal as possible. No idea what's causing this. I've checked the display. It is firmly in place and hasn't been touched during this repair. Please somebody help! :(