Laptop Shutdown... every time

Catenaccio

Hi...

My Laptop (Windows XP) for some reason keeps shutting down everytime I start. It gets to the desktop page, with no icons whatsoever (so I can't access to the Control Panel or other virus detacting devices), and then it Logs Off/Shuts Down itself.

Please aid me because all my coursework is in this thing...

Regards

Catenaccio

Super_Nova said:
try safe mode. (f8 at startup) Scan for viruses in safe mode. Sounds like you got one.

I can access Safe Mode using F8 yes, yet the same thing happens once the welcome screen comes and I type my password in.... it shuts down/logs off immediately.

jeremy

Try this

I just had the same problem!!! Pull the hard drive and place it in a computer that has a updated antivirus and :eek: scan on the drive.

ecomp401

there is a way to reformat without getting rid of your files, put simply, reformat your hard drive, BUT DO NOT FORMAT THE DRIVE OR DELETE THE PARTION, it will wipe the C:\WINDOWS clean and replace it and rename your My Docs, but everything will still be there (just under a dif. user) you can access it by going into C:\Documents and Settings\[old user name]\My Documents\ however you can only do this with a OEM disk, if you dont have an OEM disk then go to the manufacturers webpage for instructions on how to do this, and remember PROCEED WITH CAUTION!