Laptop shutting down when power is plugged in.

Bill16857

When ever i plug my laptop into power after about 2 minuts it will just shut off. This is not the case if the laptop is running off battery.
I have swapped power cables to no anvil. Please help!
Laptop is a Compaq Presario CQ56

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Shutting down is usually signs of overheating, not sure if this is signs of the charging system is somehow screwed up since this doesn't happen while on battery?

jamesd1981

when you say you swapped power cables ? do you mean just the power cable or do you mean the actual charger unit itself ?

Bill16857

Shutting down is usually signs of overheating, not sure if this is signs of the charging system is somehow screwed up since this doesn't happen while on battery?

Hmm yeah well it still charges the battery to full so thats how i am getting by atm, just charging it using it then recharging it.

when you say you swapped power cables ? do you mean just the power cable or do you mean the actual charger unit itself ?
I changed the actual charger we had a spare lying around.

dug987654

Have you tried using it on mains power but without the battery attached?

I'm not sure if this will help narrow down the problem but it may be a work around for now....

Doug.

Bill16857

Have you tried using it on mains power but without the battery attached?
Yes I have tried this and it still shuts downs maybe the power supply has been damaged somehow and it's shutting down to protect the computer?

Bill16857

now the laptop will not boot up at all, pluuged or on battery. The power lights light up for about half a second then turns off. No fans start up or anything. Sounds like a fried powersupply?