Laptop Socket Converters

SAAER45

Do they make CPU socket converters for laptops, I want to change the processor in an old laptop I have. It's running on a PIII right now

Super_Nova

You can't convert a PIII board to run say, a PIV. The chipset is designed specifically for the CPU. Even if you were able to adobt a PIV to a PIII board there's no guarantee you'd have any increase in performance considering you'd still be running old SDRAM and a 133mhz bus.

Most of the time though, laptops are locked to run at a certain speed with no options to increase CPU or BUS speed. There are probably exceptions but I wouldn't count on yours being one since it's so old. I had a 333mhz toshiba. I found a 380Mhz CPU and put it in there. It still ran at 333mhz. There is no option on the motherboard to increase CPU and BUS speed.

SAAER45

Super_Nova said:
You can't convert a PIII board to run say, a PIV. The chipset is designed specifically for the CPU. Even if you were able to adobt a PIV to a PIII board there's no guarantee you'd have any increase in performance considering you'd still be running old SDRAM and a 133mhz bus.

Most of the time though, laptops are locked to run at a certain speed with no options to increase CPU or BUS speed. There are probably exceptions but I wouldn't count on yours being one since it's so old. I had a 333mhz toshiba. I found a 380Mhz CPU and put it in there. It still ran at 333mhz. There is no option on the motherboard to increase CPU and BUS speed.

I found a VIA C7 Processor which they make models that go up to 2.oGHz but only use 20 watts. They are slot 370 and are compatible with the slot config. the chipset and the bios, will I run into any trouble now?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Unless I'm really missing something here, you guys have completely misread this post as its about a LAPTOP... Many laptops can not be upgraded, period! There are a few that have removable processors and such, but many older machines in particular don't... But even if you could upgrade it, you'd be rather limited. Of course you'd need another mobile processor, same socket, etc... I seriously doubt it's a slot processor in a laptop, and I don't think(but I could be wrong) that they used a standard 370...

Probably best to just sell and upgrade to a new laptop, as you'd probably end up spending about the same amount trying to upgrade this one if it's even possible.

Yeti

VIP Member
Even if adapters do exist, if they're anything like the socket 478->479 adapter there's no way you could ever fit it in a laptop. So like The_Other_One said start looking for a new laptop, it'll save you a lot of futile time and effort :)