Laptop Stalling Issues - How to Fix the Problem

cappy2

I have an Acer Aspire 5 17" laptop. I like the machine very much, although I have had an issue with it for quite some time now.
  • Most of the time after using it, I will put it into sleep mode, close it until the next time I use it
  • Only on occasion will I power it off after use and re-power it on when ready to use it
  • Most of the times when I open it up to use it - whether it was in sleep mode or whether I re-power it back up - the machine stalls and is extremely slow
  • This slowness makes it almost impossible to get anything done with it as it stalls and stalls and I am unable to operate the mouse properly as the cursor won't cooperate
  • I usually go through this for as long as 10-20 minutes almost each and every time I want to use it after it was asleep or powered off
  • I am sure that this is not an Internet / wifi issue but rather an issue with the device; I say this because I don't have the same issue with other devices (Chromebook and smart phone) and I have had this same problem with this machine in my previous residence with a different ISP ( I just relocated about 2 months ago)
Is there anything one could recommend to clean up my machine so that this will not be a problem that continues? I do keep a lot of tabs pinned and open but I don't believe that this should cause such lengthy stalling each and everytime I want to use it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

cappy2

-11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz 2.42 GHz
-12.0 GB (11.8 GB usable)
-64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
-Windows 10

beers

Staff member
Maybe depends on how many tabs if it's super excessive, otherwise sleep is just a low power state that retains RAM contents, should be somewhat instantaneous when resuming. I would assume it has a SSD already given the recency of the CPU, if you're doing a lot of swap depending on tab volume that would dictate a lot of the performance observed.

Otherwise if you haven't reinstalled the OS in a while I might start leaning toward that direction. Possibly a pass of memtest86+ or something since you indicated it struggles even from fresh boot, since the behavior is consistent between fresh and sleep I'd start looking there.