Laptop temperature check: Your opinion please

Discussion in 'Computer Cases, Power Supplies and Cooling' started by phillo86, Aug 4, 2017.

1. phillo86

phillo86 New Member

Hi,
    I have a question concerning temperature. I use my laptop, a ThinkPad T460S, on a daily basis, mostly for basic statistical analyses. During work, I barely ever hear the laptop fan. However, when I play League of Legends (an online multiplayer game with 3D graphics), the fan gets very loud and the laptop gets hot. Since "hot" is not so specific, I measured the temperature in normal mode, using the freeware tool CPUID HWMonitor. I don't want to measure it in gaming mode as I want to hear your opinions first. Basically I want to ensure that playing doesn't destroy my laptop over time: It's my bread and butter for work and I don't have the cash currently to buy an extra gaming system.
    In normal mode (this means: I have Opera open with >10 tabs, I have MS Excel open, and the Windows Task Manager shows me that CPU is in use at 11% and Memory 26% and Disk 2%), I get the stats which I attached in these screenshots (https://ibb.co/mviEMa , https://ibb.co/jLVTga). The room the laptop is in is at what most people would consider normal room temperature.
    However, I cannot interpret this info simply due to a lack of technical knowledge on this subject. This is why I write here, since I'm hoping somebody on this board can answer me this:
    1. what is lenovo 20fas54d00?
    2. what is samsung mzk....?
    3. aren't these temperatures super high for the basic usage I just mentioned?
    4. what is the max. temperature at which the laptop can operate for hours in a row, without the laptop being damaged in the long run?
    Thanks lots in advance for sharing your expertise!

2. johnb35

johnb35 Administrator Staff Member

Probably serial number of your laptop.

Your SSD drive
    For being basically Idle, temps are kinda high.

Max temp for that processor ( I assume its the 6600u) is 100 degrees Celcius, but honestly I would keep it below 80 degrees.

You might want to check vents to make sure no dust is blocking them.

3. phillo86

phillo86 New Member

Thanks johnb35, I appreciate your answers.
    I checked in the device manager and yes, the processor is 6600u.
    Any hints where I can find a good guide on checking the vents? I never opened a laptop. (I know I could Google this, but I prefer asking the experts). Also, where would I find the info re. 100 being the max. temp?

4. johnb35

johnb35 Administrator Staff Member

5. phillo86

phillo86 New Member

Thanks for your competence & speed, helped me a lot