Laptop that constently lose its internet connection

Hi,

I very often have problems with my wireless internet connection on my laptop.
I frequently lose my internet connection. Sometimes, the computer reconnects instantly, sometimes it doesn't and I have to reconnect manually. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't work. In that times, Windows 7 tells me that there no internet connection. Then, Windows 7 offers me to resolve the problem. When I click on that option, Windows 7 starts to try to detect the problem. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't work and Windows 7 just tells me to try to reset my router. Then, I have to try to reconnect to the wireless connection several times before it works.

What is strange is as I lose the internet connection, I can hear my laptop fan and the windows that is opened loses its focus.

I can have no problems during a long time, but when I start to lose the connection, it can happen several times in one minute, which is disturbing especially when I'm watching a video.

Do you have any idea of what could be the cause of the problem? Is it something with my computer or with my internet provider?

I have a ThinkPad E550 that I just bought this summer.

Thank you for your help.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So the cpu fan revs up and objects go out of focus? Sounds like its an overheating issue. Did it just start happening or has it happened since you bought it? Since you just bought it, it has a warranty. I would have them look at it to determine what the problem is or replace it.

Thank you for your answer. I actually need a lot my laptop so I'll bring it to the computer store maybe in some weeks when I'll be less busy.

But before that, I'd like to know your opinion on this video that I made on my laptops desktop while monitoring the cpu temperature while as I lose the wireless connection.
You can see the cpu temperature raise to 60°C just as the wireless connection is lost. You can see me trying to solve the solution with the Windows 7 troubleshooting feature and having difficulties getting my connection back. No software where opened during the video so why does the temperature raises? Is 60°C significantly high or is it an abnormal cpu temperature? Why would a cpu temperature raise lead to the lost of the wireless connection?

I also want you to know that I have used a lot Genymotion, an Android emulator, this summer, sometimes two windows opened at the same time. I know this is a high usage of the cpu and I suppose this made my cpu heating to increase, but I didn't lost my wireless connection more often while Genymotion was opened.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Check your cpu usage to see if anything is out of the ordinary. 60 degrees is on the high side. If cpu usage is normal then I would definitely take it to have it looked at. It may be that the wireless card is very near to the cpu and its overheating and dropping connection. Which would mean bad design of the laptop.

Thank you,

I have checked for the cpu usage tonight and as you can see in this new video, I saw sudden and big increases of the cpu usage immediately followed by the loss of the wireless connection. In fact, the lost of the connection occurs at the same time as the the increase of the cpu usage and I don't really know which occurs first. Other than that, the cpu usage seems to be normal : around 5%. What could be the explanation for these increases of the cpu usage since no software was opened other than the video recorder? I suppose I'll need the warranty for this new laptop...

Hello,

The technicians at the computer store just updated my drivers and the problem seems the be solved.
But since my laptop is back to home, I have now a new problem. The wireless connection speed is extremely slow. I did a speed test on a web site and I'm getting only 0.5 Mbit/s for the download speed. Loading simple web pages like google search results is very slow.

When my laptop is directly connected to the LAN cable, I'm getting around 10 Mbit/s with the speed test, which correspond to what I expect to get.

Do you have any idea?

If I downgrade my drivers, it could bring back the disconnection problems...

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Go into device manager under network adapters and tell me what it says what you have for the wireless card. I just checked lenovo's site and they have 3 different models. Realtek, Intel and Broadcom.

Since I installed these drivers, the download speed test gives around 4-5 Mbit/s. It's a big improvement but it's less than the 10 Mbit/s that I'm getting with the LAN cable plugged to the laptop. Is this difference normal?

Thanks a lot again!

My wireless router is on my desk at about 3 feet away from my laptop. The signal strength is strong. I sometimes use my laptop in other places in my home but I usually use it on my desk and when I executed the speed test, I was on my desk.

Thank you.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Its not normal to be off that much when you are right next to the router. I would expect that speed when you are in the next room. If i'm not mistaken, there is an issue the Intel AC wireless series 7200. I just had another member have a wireless issue using the same series of card. I'll see if I can't find it and verify the model number. You may be forced to get a usb wireless adapter.