Laptop to PC – How do I connect the two?

JennyW

Hiee!

I’m pretty good with computers, but when it comes to hardware…I’m kinda lost! I need help!

I have a laptop computer, I used to use a desktop computer.

Anyway, I have some files I need to access from my old desktop computer and I want to hook up to it with my laptop.

Is this possible to do? I’m sure it is.
How can I do it though? I don’t know where to start!

If it’s too much to explain, then maybe there’s a site that explains how to do it? Please help!

Thanks so much!
Jenny :)

Yeti

VIP Member
Well, first it might help to know the specs of the computers (especially the OS)
Yes, it can be done. A few things you'll need:
A network card for each computer - PCI for the desktop, PCMCIA for the laptop; note: they could be integrated
Either a crossover cable, a router, or a hub

JennyW

Hi!

Well, first it might help to know the specs of the computers (especially the OS)
Yes, it can be done. A few things you'll need:
Sure.

My laptop: Windows XP
RAM: 512 MB
DELL – It’s quite new. I bought it in June of 2004

My PC:
Windows 98
RAM: 448 MB

A network card for each computer - PCI for the desktop, PCMCIA for the laptop; note: they could be integrated
I think my Laptop has internal card already. Once I was at a friends house and she hooked up my laptop to her PC. I had access to all her files.

What do I do with a PCI for the desktop? Where does it go?

Sorry for my inexpertise here! Feel a little silly!

Yeti

VIP Member
For the network card (the PCI card I mentioned) you'll need something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-171-301&depa=0
You'll have to open up the computer and put it in an open PCI slot. It's really not hard at all - as simple as unscrewing a couple screws an putting the card in the slot. You should check first to make sure you don't already have one. It will look almost exactly like a phone jack. If it has two, its most likely a modem and not a network card. I guess I'll let you get the hardware all straightened out before I go into the software setup. Also, you'll still need a crossover cable, hub, or router as I mentioned above.

Sorry for my inexpertise here! Feel a little silly!
Don't worry about it. This forum is for helping people. And it's much easier than trying to talk to someone that thinks they know everything :)

JennyW

Hi Yeti!

Ok, I checked my PC, it has a PCI Ethernet Adapter (like the one on the link you sent me)…that’s the wider sized looking telephone jack right?

Also, you'll still need a crossover cable, hub, or router as I mentioned above.
When you say Crossover Cable do you mean an Eternet wire?

Thanks again

Yeti

VIP Member
Ok, I checked my PC, it has a PCI Ethernet Adapter (like the one on the link you sent me)…
Okay, that's good. To make sure you might want to go to the control panel->system->device manager and see what it says for network adapters.
When you say Crossover Cable do you mean an Eternet wire?
Well, yes and no. A crossover cable is a special type of ethernet cable that will allow two computers to connect directly to one another without the use of a hub or router. It has some of the wires crossed (simply put : the "send" wire for one end has to match with the "recieve" wire on the other end) hence the name crossover cable.

JennyW

Hey.

Okay, that's good. To make sure you might want to go to the control panel->system->device manager and see what it says for network adapters.
I can’t do that. I don’t have a monitor with that PC right now. (I have to find it, it’s in my damn basement somewhere!!) I’m pretty sure it’s what we’re looking for though.

Also, you'll still need a crossover cable, hub, or router
What’s the best to use out of the three above?

Thanks again Yeti.

Yeti

VIP Member
What’s the best to use out of the three above?
If you only want to connect two computers a crossover cable would be by far the cheapest. If you plan on connecting more than two computers or want to share a broadband internet connection you should get a router.
Thanks again Yeti.
Don't mention it ;)

lynx6200

Hey, I was just reading your postings, and just thought Id offer a word. I dont think theres a "best" in terms of the router/hub/cross over, but the corss over cable will be cheaper, and good just for using to transfer files between two computers. The other devices or more specific, for using in networks, but would of course work as well. It sounds like you have a ethernet card in your one computer (as it is the jack slightly bigger than a phone jack). When you tansfer your files though, you'll need to be able to do some stuff on both computers, so you should probably find a monitor to use.

Last edited:

JennyW

Hey guys!

When you tansfer your files though, you'll need to be able to do some stuff on both computers, so you should probably find a monitor to use.
So, is that it? Am I done (if I have a computer monitor for my PC)? I just need a Crossover Cable!??

Yeti

VIP Member
So, is that it? Am I done (if I have a computer monitor for my PC)? I just need a Crossover Cable!??
You will have the necessary hardware then. You will still have to set up the network in the operating system.

lynx6200

that all you need, ive never actualy done that with a crssover cable, only on a network. But youll need to to set up a folder to be shared so the other computer can access it, or even share the entire "C:", but be careful what files you move, because you dont want to mess with system files.

JennyW

Hiee!

but be careful what files you move, because you dont want to mess with system files.
Are you talking about Windows files and things like that? I’m dealing mainly with Audio and Video files. Should I be ok?

Also, is it ok that my Laptop is run by Windows XP and my PC is Win98?

Talk to ya!

lynx6200

Yeah, you should be fine. I was just reffering to windows/system files and such, but you wont see those anyways unless you go in the windows folder and other systems folder. Most of your stuff Im guessing would just be in "my documents" and on the desktop.

Yeti

VIP Member
Are you talking about Windows files and things like that? I’m dealing mainly with Audio and Video files. Should I be ok?
I wouldn't worry about that. You'll generally just be copying files. In order to actually move a file you'd have to have write permission and you'd have to cut it from one folder and paste it into another (otherwise it just copies the files by default).
Also, is it ok that my Laptop is run by Windows XP and my PC is Win98?
It's doable. I've done it before... I might be a little hazy on the specifics of windows 98 though since I upgraded all my computers to WinXP a few years back.

JennyW

Hi Guys.

Maybe it would be a good idea for me to change the Operating System of my PC to Windows XP? Is this easy to do? Can I just copy over Win98 on the system?

Yeti

VIP Member
Maybe it would be a good idea for me to change the Operating System of my PC to Windows XP? Is this easy to do? Can I just copy over Win98 on the system?
You could do that. Personally, I would try to network the computers, get any files of the desktop that you need, and do a clean install of Windows XP; Windows 98 and Windows XP use different files systems (FAT32 vs NTFS).

lynx6200

I have one suggestion, depending one the size of all the information you have to transfer, you could do it by thumb drive. Coud even transfer things in portion with a USB thumb drive, just plug it into each computer.

Yeti

VIP Member
I have one suggestion, depending one the size of all the information you have to transfer, you could do it by thumb drive. Coud even transfer things in portion with a USB thumb drive, just plug it into each computer.
Definitely a possibility. I have a 1 GB USB drive I got for ~$50 that works well. Heck, my dad transfered a few GB of files from his laptop to his desktop with a 512 MB USB drive because he could't wait for me to go to his house and network the computers, LOL.