Laptop vs netbook

Brdlsc2

Hi guys
I'm new to this forum and I need a bit of advice. Netbook or laptop? I don't need a disk drive although I do have an external and I won't be playing games on it so I'm thinking netbook but is a netbook powerful enough to run things like spotify?? Or stream movies?? Are they simply for browsing the Internet or will it support iTunes and a basic word processor?
Cheers guys
Scott

tremmor

Sounds like you. They work well. Small, portable and light and no rom. External works well or and microdrive. Asus Eee have some nice ones. Try to get two or 3 or maybe 4 gig if budget fits. Also be concerned about the battery voltage. 9 or 12 v if available would be better.

turbodiesel

i would chose laptop for the things you want to do netbook are really for the simple webbrowsing and email and stuff like that so if you dont get a laptop but get a netbook instead dont install loads of stuff only basic things

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
I would recommend a small (~14") laptop. I bought a netbook myself, and while the CPU (a single-core Atom, abut the slowest you can get) is adequately powerful for everything I've thrown at it, I still wish I'd got a proper laptop instead. It's simply too small - the keyboard is cramped and the screen resolution isn't simply big enough to make an enjoyable experience out of anything (if this scares you, I might point out that it's still adequate for most websites - however, you will eventually come across some that make you wish you had a bigger screen). But if you've ever played around with one or just know that you can live with the small size, then it's fine. If you're only concerned about whether it's powerful enough, then you should be alright.

I say "should" because while mine handles even NetBeans (a fairly heavy piece of software for an Atom) adequately well (the tiny screen not withstanding) and is powerful enough for any web browsing and word processing, I haven't done any HD streaming but I haven't heard many good things. But if by "streaming" you mean "480p (or less) youtube videos", you're fine.

Bigwoods

banned
Netbooks are pretty much just made to be portable. I have one in my school bag and save everything online and when I get home I use my desktop. They are great travelling computers capable of almost everything, but the size is not good for using MS Word etc.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Yeah I would go with the netbook, one with the dual core 1.8 Ghz Atom and 2 GB DDR3 memory, it can do just about anything else really, it should be fine.

strollin

I have an older netbook with the original Atom processor and 1.5G RAM in it. I use it in my RV when traveling to surf the web, email, do word processing and stream movies via Netflix. It does all that fine. I run Win 7 Pro along with MS Office and it handles Word & Excel without issue. Streaming movies & music depends more heavily on your internet connection than it does the cpu so if you have a decent internet connection a netbook can stream fine.

The major drawback to the netbook is the small screen, if you can live with that then it will do what you are wanting to do.

I bought an external DVD drive to use with the netbook when I first got it but haven't even plugged the external DVD drive into it in over a year, the thing simply isn't needed.

Last edited: