laptop vs tablet

Newbie here: My wife wants a small very basic laptop to use around the house, she uses her smart phone now. Also, she wants the full "full browser capabilities" of my E5440 laptop. for instance our ebay screens look completely different .....guy at BestBuy told me laptops have full compression is the difference but I can't find anything on this, is there another terminology he said that 99% of the tablets will not be the same browser capabilities of my laptop, will all of the laptops available browser capabilities be the same as my laptop (not talking about speed but viewing screens like ebay, for instances would Dell chromebook be like my laptop as opposed to a tablet/smartphone. Any recommendations on a basic inexpensive laptop like what she is looking for? Thanks

OmniDyne

So you're saying that eBay and other websites are showing up as mobile view instead of desktop view.

Any laptop that runs a full version of Windows or Mac OS should provide a full desktop internet browsing experience.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The reason why the smartphones show a different view then the regular website on a pc is because of the smaller screen size. Developers have to change things in order to show them on smartphone better. However, you can always go into the browser settings on the phone and select desktop view. But I do agree that browsing some websites on a phone is a pain in the butt for me. I would rather do it on a pc. Any chromebook or regular laptop will show full screen. It's only tablets and smartphones that will be different.

Darren

Staff member
One thing to note, many modern websites dictate if your in mobile view or desktop view by the width of your window. So even on a desktop/laptop if you make the browser window narrow enough it will just kick you into the mobile version.

In fact our own forum does this. If you make your window narrow you'll notice the signatures disappear and a few other things change.

This doesn't really change what you need, just worth noting.