Laptop won't play blu rays

tersie8282

I just bought a used HP DV9000. It has a blue Ray player in it but it won't play blue rays only DVDs. Iam trying to play the blue rays with windows media player. Do I need a specific player other than WMP to play blue rays?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think WMP alone will play blu rays, You will need some sort of video codecs in order to play them. As suggested, cyberlink powerdvd will be able to play them.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
No, its not free. Any electronics store that sells software should carry a dvd/bluray software. There are a few out there.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
The other thing that you should look in to is to make sure that the firmware is up to date as well. Some of the early HP laptops that were shipped had the BD drive in it, but not the firmware to actually play the discs...

MMM

I just bought a used HP DV9000. It has a blue Ray player in it but it won't play blue rays only DVDs. Iam trying to play the blue rays with windows media player. Do I need a specific player other than WMP to play blue rays?
Are you sure it has a Blue ray DVD player installed?
Going by the specs of the laptop it is only HD DVD which might explain why it wont play the discs and it is bit strange since all laptops come pre-installed with software to compliment the hard ware.