Laptop won't respond

jl1

Here's one for the pros (you know who you are JohnB) who have pulled my fat from the fire too many times! My father's computer (God bless him for trying - he's 78), a Sony Vaio, refuses to "work" for him. I tried to remote in, but he can't get it to a point of even functioning. A normal start brings up a blank screen, and a safe mode start (with & without networking) brings up his desktop and a movable cursor, but nothing opens, and he can't bring up the menu to access a restore (when the cursor is placed over to windows button, the blue spinning circle spins, but does nothing. I'll be picking up the computer this week, but thought I'd throw this out there as a preemptive strike to see how I might proceed. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
My only thoughts would be either a failing hard drive or rootkit infection. Really can't tell without scanning the drive.

jl1

I guess anything's possible, because it's an older laptop. It was working a couple of weeks ago, a bit slow perhaps. I was able to remote in and run the usual scans - lots of infections, as he hadn't run any scans for almost a year! I cleaned it up with the usual programs, and it seemed to work fine. If it is a rootkit issue, is there any way that you know that will allow me to get some functionality so that I can run the scans again? Thanks JB.

Agent Smith

Last edited:

jl1

Thanks for the info on the scans. Problem is, when the computer is powered up normally, it only displays the blank screen (no icons), without the ability to access the menu. When powered up in safe mode, the icons are there, but none of them will open, and still not able to access the menu (hover over the windows button and the small blue circle just spins. Is there anyway I can bypass my way to get this thing on? Thanks!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Take the drive out of the laptop and attach it to a different system. Then run tdsskiller as it will scan mbr's of drives attached. Also when tdsskiller opens, click on change parameters and checkmark tdlfs file system and then scan. Then use malwarebytes to scan the drive, click on scan up top and then choose custom scan and choose the drive letter of the drive.

jl1

Thanks JohnB - I'll be picking the computer up on Tuesday, and I'll advise of the progress.