Laptop wont turn on

SteveBlack

Laptop: HP G71-340US 17.3" Laptop Computer

So this laptop is my fathers old laptop that i figured i might be able to get working again. So i dont know any backstory just one day the display doesnt work anymore. When i plug in the charger the white charging light stays on for about 10 seconds before dimming (No blinking just steady light) Ive already taken the cmos battery out and drained the remaining electrical charge, ive used a hdmi port to see if it was the screen and nope, none of the heads up lights like wifi and power mode at the bottom left come on, I have no extra ram to replace. I will answer any questions you have to my full extent, i have a background in building desktops.

Trizoy

VIP Member
If its almost a full loss, you could try checking the screen connections(pull the thing apart). Maybe a simple loose wire.

SteveBlack

If its almost a full loss, you could try checking the screen connections(pull the thing apart). Maybe a simple loose wire.
Well I would but it leads me to think its a motherboard problem as the only thing that is visible is the white charging light for 10 seconds, no fan, no hard drive noises, nothing. I've read that this model is plagued with overheating causing moisture on the motherboard. :(

Darren

Staff member
Well I would but it leads me to think its a motherboard problem as the only thing that is visible is the white charging light for 10 seconds, no fan, no hard drive noises, nothing. I've read that this model is plagued with overheating causing moisture on the motherboard. :(
I mean it's 10 years old too. I'm surprised it lasted this long honestly. Sounds like a dead board, and really it isn't worth spending money to fix anyway.

SteveBlack

I mean it's 10 years old too. I'm surprised it lasted this long honestly. Sounds like a dead board, and really it isn't worth spending money to fix anyway.
Well looks like im gonna try a couple of..... well.... unique ways of fixing this like taking a heat gun to the board and looking for any shorts in the board, really far fetched ideas, ive been doing this series on fixing really old equitment and making it keep worthy for cheap, so far this is the most challenging. Id really like to test my skills by fixing this laptop :).

Darren

Staff member
Well looks like im gonna try a couple of..... well.... unique ways of fixing this like taking a heat gun to the board and looking for any shorts in the board, really far fetched ideas, ive been doing this series on fixing really old equitment and making it keep worthy for cheap, so far this is the most challenging. Id really like to test my skills by fixing this laptop :).
Good luck

SteveBlack

Good luck
So i might have a really, well, stupid idea. Im gonna see if i can take 2 10 year old laptops and make a Frankenstein Laptop, by taking the main components of one laptop(MotherBoard and etc) and use the screen and display and usb ports of the main one im transplanting into, its a long shot but im just being creative at this point.

Darren

Staff member
So i might have a really, well, stupid idea. Im gonna see if i can take 2 10 year old laptops and make a Frankenstein Laptop, by taking the main components of one laptop(MotherBoard and etc) and use the screen and display and usb ports of the main one im transplanting into, its a long shot but im just being creative at this point.
I can tell you now it won't work but can't hurt to have some fun and maybe learn something. Typically laptops are one entire motherboard with every connection in a very specific place that won't work any other way. Even within the same product lines you can't change around much. Older ones had multiple boards but anything remotely recent is likely all one board.