Laptopr CPU Upgrade Heeeeeelp!!!!! :[

GenesisxJY01

Hello, I Have An Acer Travelmate 5520, The only thing I have ever Changed was the RAM memory that I upgraded to 4GB, Now I wanted to upgrade the cpu from a Turon tl-52 to a TL-60 Just to give it yet another performance boost, So I Installed the new CPu and everything seemed to work perfectly, My computer recognized it, It showed up in the bios and My computer was definately faster. But after maybe half an hour or so The screen would go black and eventually the computer would shut off. When I try to turn it back on I get nothing on the screen whille the power light is on and the cpu light blinking a little, and after nothing happens it would turn off by itself. What's really weird is that when I open up the laptop and unplug the CPU and plug it back in it works for a little whille and then the same thing happens, when I plug in my old cpu it works fine, After I use my old cpu for a good enough time and put in the new cpu again It works Fine but then shuts off and doesn't turn back on unless I either unplug and replug or just put in my old cpu. This Is Really Frustrating, Openg up the computer over and over and over again, I just want my new CPu to work so I never have to open it up again. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I have BIOS version 1.14, where the latest version is 1.17 I tried to upgrade the bios with the download from the acer sight but I get this Flash error fail before anything can start, I tried to run as admin and even run in safe mode, theres always a flash error. I am running Windows Vista Ultimate (Fully Updated)

Here are my specs.

Operating System System Model
Windows Vista Ultimate (x64) Service Pack 2 (build 6002)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States) Acer TravelMate 5520 0100
System Serial Number: LXTKT0Z1167410C6C32000
Enclosure Type: Other
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
1.60 gigahertz AMD Turion 64 X2
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded Board: Acer TravelMate 5520 Rev
Serial Number: LXTKT0Z1167410C6C32000
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies LTD V1.14 08/17/2007
Drives Memory Modules c,d
109.55 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
44.67 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

MNK G9QJO9U SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]
Optiarc DVD RW AD-7560A ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

Hitachi HTS541612J9SA00 [Hard drive] (120.03 GB) -- drive 0, s/n SB2E41H7CL9D3E, rev SBDOC70P, SMART Status: Healthy
SD Memory Card [Hard drive] (8 MB) -- drive 1 3838 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'S1' has 2048 MB
Slot 'S2' has 2048 MB
Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 109.55 GB 44.67 GB free

You should contact Acer and see what CPUs are compatible with your motherboard. Some wil accept other CPUs but some are soldered to the board.

GenesisxJY01

I don't think so, I put Thermal paste and I waited untill the chip itself was cool before I tried it, If i leave the new processor in the motherboard (after it stops working) It just doesn't work , I always have to unplug it and replug it in before it can work again (before it crashes -_-). Sometimes I see the screen load the Acer logo and then just black.

What do you mean unplug and replug? Are you taking the cpu out everytime? If so are you re-applying thermal paste every time?

GenesisxJY01

Once the Computer shuts off when the new cpu is inside, It won't start up normally again unless I put my old one back in and sometimes when i just take The new one out (unplug it) of the socket and putting it back in (plug it back in), I don't re-apply the paste every time .

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Laptops' cooling systems are usually designed to only dissipate the heat it would produce at the stock configuration - it could be that the cooler simply can't handle the extra heat the more powerful TL-60 puts out, causing it to overheat and shut down to protect itself. Good thermal paste and one of those laptop cooling pads (not sure what they're called) would help with keeping the temperatures down.

Though I would use a program like CoreTemp to monitor the temperatures and see how high they get before trying to "fix" it, as this may not be the problem. Also, does the fan blow at full speed before it shuts down (it should be clearly audible)?

A much less unlikely explanation would be the laptop not coping with the extra power draw, as starving the computer from power can cause random shutdowns. If this is the case, there isn't much you can do except for putting the old CPU back in.

GenesisxJY01

The Fan isn't running fast when It shuts off, I don't think it's a heating issue. I know what you are talking about, but I tried waiting a good amount of time before Turning it on again to see if it was just overheated, It didn't work, when it shuts off the fan isn't always even spinning. I thought it was just a bios problem, but i'm having trouble updating it.