Large audio files

OlyPerson

So I put a CD onto my computer today that I got, and noticed that it takes up about 700mb of hard drive, while another CD of equal length takes up a mere 70mb. Why does one take up more than another? Is there a way for me to downsize one?
And also, some of my audio files are just books on CD, so quality of sound doesn't matter all that much, can I adjust the size of the file and the quality?
Thanks for any help, my computer only has an 80gb hard drive (and my iPod only 30gb), and I own a vast CD collection, and I also want to duel boot Ubuntu, so I need all the space I can get.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Audio shouldn't take up different amounts of space unless it's recorded differently. Different sample rates, bit rates, etc etc... I don't know what you use to record, but Audacity is probably the best freeware application for recording and altering audio. And Deep Ripper is a great program that'll rip audio from CDs to MP3s and a couple other formats.

OlyPerson

It seems that I just needed to convert them to MP3 format. What are the disadvantages of using MP3 format? I mean the files are 1/10 the size, there must be some draw back, right?