Laser Mouse

Bobo

banned
What do you guys think of Logitech's new laser mouse?

Anybody have it and notice a difference over optical?

I was looking at buying it, but $70? Optical is good enough for me :D

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Anybody have it and notice a difference over optical?
Not all that much difference for casual users. There is a noticeable difference though for both more hardcore users as well as those who look for it :)

Bobo

banned
The reason I like optical over ball is the no cleaning

I guess not many people have the laser mouse? I should buy it just for the heck of it. :)

hollis098

Bobo said:
I really didn't even notice that much of a difference from ball to optical!

Well their are a few diffrences for one you don't need a mouse pad, two you can use it over almost every surface, and as u say, you don't need to clean the mouse, and four the mouse emits this cool glow when ur using the computer in the dark, :D

Bobo

banned
hollis098 said:
Well their are a few diffrences for one you don't need a mouse pad, two you can use it over almost every surface, and as u say, you don't need to clean the mouse, and four the mouse emits this cool glow when ur using the computer in the dark, :D

Yeah, that light can come in handy to find things in the dark.
:D

I had it on a mousepad with a picture of a cat, and it constantly jumped. When I put it on a plain grey mousepad, it stopped. Any reason?

hah. true. flashlight.

dark surfaces don't seem to work so well-absorbs all the light. Pictures vary the amount of light that's reflected to the sensor.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Bobo said:
The reason I like optical over ball is the no cleaning
I could care less about how it looks.. I like the fact that I will never have to take apart a mouse and clean it again.

I have a dark mouse pad and it doesnt seem to make a difference when I put a white piece of paper over the pad and use the mouse... I guess some are more sensitive than others...

Last edited:

Mafesto

I've just gotten it a few days ago.. had a logitech wireless keyboard/optic mouse combo. switched to a normal key board since its a waste of AA's and the new logitech laser mouse.. so far, I am a casual to hardcore gamer. its slightly faster to aquire your hand movement.. but otherwise.. pretty much same as an optical.. though I might note however. its slow on the draw when you have had it idle for to long. it has a battery save mode that kicks it into idle mode when it isnt in use for long enough.. going from that idle state takes a second to get it going.. but otherwise. great mouse. and love it.. $70 is a bit steep for a mouse though.. worth it if you have it *shrugs*

Bobo

banned
So you say basically no difference? Thats what I figured. Is it an actual laser? Or some marketing scam?

Mafesto

ive seen green light under it once only.. and that was a split second.. other wise, I havent seen any light under it like an optical would show. guess that is a saftey thing so dumb people dont burn out their eyes lol.. it has a small difference.. but not by much to account for the big mark up in price between a optical and a laser just yet

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Supposedly the laser mouse is more accurate than the current optical technology. Other than extreme gamers.. I doubt anyone else will even notice the difference.

I was reading a few reviews that boast about how fast the curser can move..

MY RESPONSE:

LOL!

literally.. I laughed out loud.. If I go to my mouse settings and look at the speed I have my mouse set at.. its at about 50%... Why would I want my mouse to go any faster? I find if funny that some people want to move from one side of the screen to the other by moving the mouse less than a millimeter... Are we that lazy of a society that we cant spend the extra split second to move from one part of the screen to another?

and about the accuracy thing... umm.. maybe along with "TYPING TUTOR" SOFTWARE.. they should add "MOUSE TUTOR" software... practice moving from one part of the screen to another in under .001 seconds... then you PASS LESSON 1! (I guess that would only be feasible with THE NEW>>>> LASER MOUSE!

Mafesto

hehe sounds really stupid. I agree, but if you are a gamer.. any help you can get to snipe and get a headshot on a moving target. you'll buy and use.. its a known fact.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Mafesto said:
hehe sounds really stupid. I agree, but if you are a gamer.. any help you can get to snipe and get a headshot on a moving target. you'll buy and use.. its a known fact.

This is where I stop... and start rolling around on the ground laughing.

Its a game.

I like games too.. but I cant see spending $50-$100 or more on a mouse that I probably wont see any difference in. .. I dont know.. I guess I just dont get it.

Mafesto

*snicker* yea.. I slapped myself after the fact.. but eh.. I used the money I saved when I bought a new 19" monitor to buy it. budgeted for a bit to much. so the money was used for a new "toy"

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Mafesto said:
budgeted for a bit to much. so the money was used for a new "toy"

I have done that many times...

I bought a 45,001 device, laser guided, touch screen, 7.1 surround sound, UPS backup, voice controlled remote ..... After about a week I went back to the remote that came with my receiver.

Nothing wrong with buying tech gadgets... its just when they turn out to be a waste of money and trying to justify it with bogus logic.

But in your case, you bought something that works... which is all that matters!

Mafesto

indeed!!
actually. I most likely will be taking it back and getting a corded optical for the flat reason. I dont need a wireless anymore. with the setup I have now, I can reach the tower easily. ^_^ no more need to have the wireless point for the mouse sitting ontop of my desk