Latest Win10 update ate up 40GB!

Dimitri

I have a 100 GB Windows partition and a few days ago I let Windows download and install the latest big update (1803). When the computer started installing the update I had about 40GB free on the Win partition, when I got home the update was over and there was NO room left on the Win partition.

When I look in control panel it says my version is 1803, however I wonder whether the update was even completed fully, given that it apparently maxed out the partition space at some point.

But more importantly, is this normal? I can't imagine this update was really this large. I imagine something went wrong.

Since the update, when it boots into Windows it will typically hang on a black screen when it enters windows (mouse pointer visible) for a few minutes, before it lets me in.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Lots of issues with the latest update. Check your drive partitions making sure they didn't get changed. 100gb for a windows partition is actually too small. I would actually use a partitioning tool to give some space back to it by reducing the size of the other partition.

Dimitri

But it is not plausible that this was just a case of a normal update taking up 40 GB, something had to have gone wrong, right? Or was this update genuinely that big?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I'm telling you that there are glitches with the 1803 update. Look at disk management to make sure no weird partitions were created. We've already came across that once on the forum. If you are truly missing 40gb then you might want to roll back to previous build and do the update again.

strollin

It's very conceivable that the update took 40GB of disk space since it saves the old Windows version so that it can be restored. You can run Disk Cleanup and reclaim that disk space.

Dimitri

You were right, Disk Cleanup found 24 GB which is accounted for by Previous Windows Installation.

Why the heck did they do that, just take up 24 GB like it's nothing for the sake of a roll back option? Seems like they used to be able to do that kind of thing more economically.

So, I can safely just delete those 24 GB from Disk Cleanup?

strollin

Yes. As long as you're sure you don't want to go back to the previous version of Windows. I believe it will be deleted automatically after 10 days or so.

Dimitri

I deleted the Previous Windows Installation (Disc Cleanup also seemed to delete all my cookies, Chrome session and OneTab tabs) and the freed up space quickly got filled up.

I've also deleted a few little programs and every time I free up 50MB by doing so it immediately gets filled up.

Wtf is going on, do I just not have enough for the Windows install? 100 GB seems an awful lot for just a Windows installation.

UPDATE:

How do you like this:

I go to Windows\temp, size of the folder? 53,5 GB

What the hell is going on? Can I delete this?

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Have you ran ccleaner? But yes you can delete files in that folder. Ccleaner should do it for you.