LCD TV or big computer monitor?

omglol

Hi all, I have a question for you all... I am looking at getting a very big computer monitor or a mid sized LCD 1080p tv...

Is the only difference the fact that you can hook up a cable line to the back of the tv? or is one or the other better for gaming, (response time?) better picture, ghosting, etc.

In general, I have these two in mind...

monitor:
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/pro...l.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=223-9379

tv:
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/pro...l.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=A2644531

Thanks

foothead

Go for the TV. That monitor isn't great at all, especially for the price. The 6ms response time is really bad for gaming, and it's a Dell. The TV looks really nice, plus it's 120 Hz, so you can do 3D.:cool: That way you also get a good tuner, and it's bigger. I have a 50" TV on one of my computers, and it looks great. No problems with the 1080p or 16:9 aspect at all.

kobaj

VIP Member
Go for the TV. That monitor isn't great at all, especially for the price. The 6ms response time is really bad for gaming, and it's a Dell. The TV looks really nice, plus it's 120 Hz, so you can do 3D.:cool: That way you also get a good tuner, and it's bigger. I have a 50" TV on one of my computers, and it looks great. No problems with the 1080p or 16:9 aspect at all.

Umm...Im sorry but get your facts straight before posting. First off, I vote monitor. Its going to be clearer then a TV, and it come with HDMI connections so it can be used as a (high def)TV anyway.

Next up, 6ms is a great response time, and would work great for gaming. Most monitors now a days are about 5ms. You can get expensive ones with 2ms, but in all honesty, below 16ms you cant even tell!

Dell, whilst they have a reputation for laptop problems, they have excellent monitors. I've seen them in person and am quite impressed, I personally like their very large sturdy bases that many monitor manufacturers today forgo to be cheaper.

120hz has absolutely nothing to do with the ability of the monitor to display 3D. Any monitor/TV (assuming standard connections) in the past 10 years can display 3D! Thats just the refresh rate, which is better then the usual 60hz, but once again, you cant tell the difference.

That monitor is also high resolution 1080, infact, it does the TV one better with a higher resolution of 1920 x 1200. Another thing to note is the 400 brightness, usually monitors are 300, so its plenty bright and a 3000:1 contrast ratio is also above standard.

Personally, the monitor is going to be cheaper (depending on where you buy), and give you a better picture. But the TV will have a tuner in it, of course you can get a tuner for your computer for about 75$ (depending on quality) anyway.

Hope this helps :D.

Last edited:

foothead

6ms is a great response time, and would work great for gaming. Most monitors now a days are about 5ms. You can get expensive ones with 2ms, but in all honesty, below 16ms you cant even tell!

Dell, whilst they have a reputation for laptop problems, they have excellent monitors. I've seen them in person and am quite impressed, I personally like their very large sturdy bases that many monitor manufacturers today forgo to be cheaper.

120hz has absolutely nothing to do with the ability of the monitor to display 3D. Any monitor/TV (assuming standard connections) in the past 10 years can display 3D! Thats just the refresh rate, which is better then the usual 60hz, but once again, you cant tell the difference.

That monitor is also high resolution 1080, infact, it does the TV one better with a higher resolution of 1920 x 1200. Another thing to note is the 400 brightness, usually monitors are 300, so its plenty bright and a 3000:1 contrast ratio is also above standard.

Personally, the monitor is going to be cheaper (depending on where you buy), and give you a better picture. But the TV will have a tuner in it, of course you can get a tuner for your computer for about 75$ (depending on quality) anyway.

Hope this helps :D.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. with 6ms, I see some ghosting. while it's not bad, at least to me, it is annoying.

I have had many dell computers and monitors, and they always seem to be cheaply made, and overpriced.

By 3D, I meant the nvidia 3dvision. sorry. that one was on me. I should have been more clear.

400 brightness at least to me isnt a big deal, since mine is 250, and I had to turn it down to like 20%

the difference between 1920x1080 and 1920x1200 is very small. some people wouldn't even notice unless they were next to each other.

PC tuners are never of very good quality, and I have yet to see one where the picture even approaches that of my 1080p plasma.

I hope I made myself clear this time.:D

A Cheese Danish

I'd take the monitor over the TV any day, unless you are going to mount the tv far away from where you are sitting. Display's that are large,
with a HD display of 1920 x 1080, or even 1920 x 1200, don't seem to look so good when close up compared to a smaller monitor/tv
with the same resolution.
However, I do use a 25.5" TV as my monitor, it looks amazing though, and it is smaller than both your listed options.

fmw

The major difference between the two is that the TV has things like a digital TV tuner and built in speakers that you probably don't need. Alsot the TV is likely to be larger. Either one will have HDMI, DVI and VGA inputs. The TV will be more expensive because of the added features.

I recommend the monitor as long as your size requirements are 26" or under. It will be cheaper and might have a higher native resolution.

Bodaggit23

I think it would depend on what you'll be using it for and where you're going to put it.

If you'll be using it for your main gaming rig, I would get a Monitor.

If you're going to use it for a Media PC and watch movies such in addition
to playing games, and you'll put it in your living room, then I would get a TV.

omglol

Hmm, yes I will most likely go with the monitor from all of your information provided...

Will a 9800gtx+ and phenom II x4 940 be enough to power that 27' dell at max res with games like cod waw, cs source, fear 2, or crysis (on medium settings)???

niak_558

i just had the same dilemna when purchasing my new desktop.

in the end i opted to get the lcd tv due to the fact that as fmw said it has built in tuner and speakers so later down the track it can be used as a straight tv whereas a monitor is restricted to only being used in conjunction with a computer. that being said my plan was always for it to be used as a media centre rather than gaming.

in case your interested the tv i bought was a series 4 32" samsung lcd and i am very happy with it.

piziey

i think computer resolution more sharp than lcd tv.computer monitor can be tv what? just use tv external device.but depand what work you want do with that hardware.for me,what i' m doing is more to graphic and playing games.i will choose lcd monitor.also i can watch tv and movie clear than lcd tv with brightness and sharper graphic:p