Learning about Power Supplies

tonyspc

I have a PC with a bad PS. It's a HP ENVY Windows 7 about 5-6 years old. The power supply is p/n PS-8501-1.
I have looked up and down for this unit and it looks like it doesn't exist. Strange. There are many PS-8501-2.
The only difference I see between the two is the watt output. 420 verses 500. Any one know if this PS can be found?
And would the -2 supply can replace the -1.
Thanks
Tony
Oregon

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I have a PC with a bad PS. It's a HP ENVY Windows 7 about 5-6 years old
It's a hell of a lot older than that. WIndows 8 came out 10 years so its more than that.

Take it out of the pc and measure the psu. If its a standard size unit then you don't need to buy the same one. You can go to your local pc store or online retailer and buy anyone you want as long as it a decent brand.

Darren

Staff member
500w unit would work, but I'm fairly certain those are standard ATX size so any regular old PSU would do. I wouldn't buy an HP one unless it was an unusual size/form factor.

500w unit would work, but I'm fairly certain those are standard ATX size so any regular old PSU would do. I wouldn't buy an HP one unless it was an unusual size/form factor.
Not sure about HP but some dells still use stupid proprietary form factors that will only support psu's they provide
Ik there's probably a business workflow reason for it but comeon it's 2022 :rolleyes:

tonyspc

Thanks for the help. I found a desktop that has similar components. Mother board PS. I was able to move the power supply to my PC with no luck.
I really wanted to save this unit because I have program that needs a key and I have misplaced it. I forget how long ago I got this HP. I bought a Dell at Costco for $499 normally $750. Now I have to find my old program on the net. But I've been told that old programs don't like newer versions of windows. :confused: If I find a way to bring it back to life I will let you know.

Darren

Staff member
Not sure about HP but some dells still use stupid proprietary form factors that will only support psu's they provide
Ik there's probably a business workflow reason for it but comeon it's 2022 :rolleyes:
Frequently you're right but that specific model has the standard screw hole lay out so I think it's the standard ATX form factor.