Learning how to manipulate a scanned document.

BML

I am studying a book with a 24 page bibliography in about an 8 point typeface which means I have to use a magnifying glass. So, the thought crossed my mind that I required a digitalised collection of these pages in order to more easily identify terms such as, “Parliamentary” as in, “Parliamentary Labour Party”.

Having got as far as scanning a page I suddenly recognised that as all I had on my screen was an image which the find mechanism on my Word page obviously ignored.

So, my question is, where do I go from here?

beers

Staff member
Any sort of OCR (Optical Character Recognition) type of software should be able to pull text from the page and have it stored as a text value.

Reactions: BML

BML

Many thanks for your reply which of course I should have known but I'm afraid I spend more time writing than I ever have in learning computerisation.
I recognise that software creation needs financing in order to do what they do and accept that the recommendation is correct but I resent paying rent so will probably look for an outright purchase so, now to start looking..

beers

Staff member
There's plenty of free solutions, Adobe even has OCR capability in their app scanning software that's free on the store.

BML

I found a post stating "Ten best OCR apps" tried to download it which was no problem then tried to operate it which was not. So, is it possible to suggest a free OCR app that I could use?

Darren

Staff member
I found a post stating "Ten best OCR apps" tried to download it which was no problem then tried to operate it which was not. So, is it possible to suggest a free OCR app that I could use?
Read the post above yours.

There's plenty of free solutions, Adobe even has OCR capability in their app scanning software that's free on the store.

BML

There may be plenty of free solutions but the Adobe one is not one of those but requires a monthly payment. I'm looking for a free app.

BML

I think that I may have cracked it in that I've found, "gimageReader" and it is simple enough for me to operate.

Trizoy

VIP Member
You can take images with an Android phones camera and use "Lens" to scrape all the text and zoom in and out.