learning more as i go

bkribbs

Neither ;)

You will be able to use it, but you will have to repair your windows install in order for it to work.

Benny Boy

sounds complicated for a newby.

spending the budget on the hw for this 1st time build and trying to hang on to the hdd for the xp for a little while yet. ill see if i can research how to repair it. just guessing but, something to do with chipset?

Last edited:

bkribbs

sounds complicated for a newby.

spending the budget on the hw for this 1st time build and trying to hang on to the hdd for the xp for a little while yet. ill see if i can research how to repair it. just guessing but, something to do with chipset?

Actually, just pop in the install cd as if you are going to reinstall windows, and there should be a repair install option.

lucasbytegenius

Don't choose recovery console. Go along the steps a bit, and it will detect the previous version and ask you if you want to repair it.

Benny Boy

wound up being pretty simple.
xp detected substantial hw changes and required activation.
the oem key passed ms so it must be transferable , 1 pc at a time.

linkin

VIP Member
The online activation won't work for an OEM copy of XP, You'll have to call up microsoft (use the toll free number) tell them that you had to reformat or the motherboard died and you replaced it with a similar one or something and they should activte it for you.

ErikAlbert

The online activation won't work for an OEM copy of XP, You'll have to call up microsoft (use the toll free number) tell them that you had to reformat or the motherboard died and you replaced it with a similar one or something and they should activte it for you.
I agree, I've done it myself.
Besides the online activation is limited even when there is no hardware-change, after that only a phone-activation is possible.
You better install winXP, activate it and do a backup and then you can re-install it (= restore) over and over again.

Last edited: