Leaving a computer on 24/7

ceewi1

VIP Member
Yeh, I always turn off my monitor. If you have a CRT monitor, it can be using as much power as the PC itself. It also makes an unwanted light source if i'm not using the computer. Mine's set to turn off after 20 mins anyway though.

krimson_king

Fuzz said:
The system board on a computer is full of solder points. Given that, when a solder point is heated up and cooled down over and over again (such as turning on and off the computer) the solder becomes brittle and has more of a chance of breaking.

um, unless youre playing football or something with it, i dont see any reason why something like that would matter. it definitely makes sense to turn off your computer, mainly for mechanical purposes.

Motoxrdude

Like everyone else said, it doesnt matter too much what you do, leave it on or off. I usually restart my computer about every 3 days because my ram just gets fuller and fuller, so i start noticing lag when doing simple tasks. My home server has been on for 3 years straight. I have a 120min battery back up for it so it hasnt ever been turned off and it runs great.

hello45044

Ive got tons of stuff on my computer, so it needs tons of fans to keep it cool. I'm too lazy to get a better case or round ide cables or something. I just add more fans. My computer sounds like a helicopter, so I put it in sleep mode when I'm not using it.

Veurruckte

Many people brag about their uptime, which I believe is stupid. Unless you're serving, I would say shut it down (Especially running windows). Your components will last longer, and you will be saving power :) .

You can always find a use for old machines. One example would be using it as a firewall.

DaShit

the part that is prolly going to go out first because leaving it on 24/7 would be the PSU, they only have lifes of like 100,000 hrs which is like 3 years

ericvonzipper

I've had 2 pwr supplies go after the 5 yr mark, I started to doubt the quality from the computer store I got them from but they said 3-5 yrs is the expected life. $20 powersupply, guess I got my monies worth.

Bobo

banned
I am still using power suppllies that are over 10 years old, they are second, third, fourth hand and they work fine