leaving computer on 24/7?

Impulse666

computer was created to last forever. never natural, always digital. i've always had my computers running 24/7 with no problems as long as you have decent cooling.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
As long as it doesn't get too hot, you should be fine. I used to leave mine on all the time, but stopped for various reasons. Mostly, it's more stress on components. I see no reason to have it sitting idle while I'm asleep. It just wears things out... If you have a fanless system and the harddrive(s) spin down, I guess you'd be fine :p

sab.o.taj

all i make sure of is that
1. the monitor doesn't get burnt out..
2. i'm don't get bothered by the noise (when sleeping), if any

Geoff

VIP Member
I leave my computer on overnight alot when downloading large files, but because of all the power it uses I try not to do that all the time.

elitehacker

My computer has been running non stop for two year already. I think its just a trade off of two things, either your bearing wears out or the little surge even time you switch on kills your computer. As long as you have surge protectors and the such I don't see any harm in running it 24/7.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Ya know even your super new/sweet PC wouldn't use that much electricity OMEGA.. I doubt it adds $10 to your electric bill every month.

I turn it off unless I have to do something, downloading, defrag, virus scan. That's just preference though.

elitehacker

It really depends on what type of setup you have, if you have an 8800GTX and you are running it flat out, then it will use alot of power.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
But still a pittance. Guy at this forum (or was it SLI-zone??) tested a Fx-60 and two 8800gts in SLI, plus the regular stuff, and used it like he normally would.. Game here, folding@home there, and it out to be that he used less than $10 bucks of electrons.. Surprised me as i thought these computer used alot of those electrons...

lhoney2

I leave mine on 24/7, and let it go into sleep mode after a few hours. In sleep mode the computer uses almost no electricity whatsoever.

As long as you have decent parts, your computer will probably die of obsolescence before it will die of being turned on too long.