LED Fans????

Hello,

I've recently rebuilt my pc and decided to get a 3 pack of Fractal Design Prisma AL-14 LED PWM fans. The mobo is a ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING.

Originally I thought I could connect the fans to the RGB HEADER(S) and control them all using AURARA sync

BUT I've since learned that those RGB Headers are 12 V and only for LED strips.

So, how on earth can I connect my fans up so I can control the fancy schmancy led's???

Is the a 5V header on the mobo I've missed?

OmniDyne

It's not that the headers on your motherboard are for strips (although your motherboard manual states they are); there are two types of RGB connectors:

4-pin 12 volt

3-pin digital 5-volt/ 12-volt

Your motherboard utilizes 4-pin headers and your fans utilize 3-pin connectors. You'll have to purchase a 3-pin control module for your fans. There may be a 4-pin to 3-pin convertor for the motherboard but I'm unsure. 3-pin digital RGB is also known as addressable RGB.

We're dealing with this at work right now because the 3-pin fans we purchased don't state whether they're 5-volt or 12-volt LED. It's a mess, especially considering if you reverse a 4-pin RGB connector it will damage the LEDs.

Last edited:
Ok, gotcha. My fans are 4 pin 12 V and the LEDS on the fan are 5V which plugs into a 4 pin slot but there are only 3 pins. It looks like I can daisy chain them together too.
Looks like I need a controller.

However, i also want to add a few LED Strips, which would go directly into the mobo 12 V headers.

But, can I control the fans (which are connected to a controller) and the LED Strips via the built in Aura Sync?

Really want to avoid two control systems and I assumed by buying this mobo that everything could just connect there and done.

OmniDyne

the LEDS on the fan are 5V which plugs into a 4 pin slot but there are only 3 pins.

No, the AL-14 fans you purchased will not plug into a 12 volt 4-pin RGB header. They will only plug into a 5 volt 3-pin digital (addressable) header, which your motherboard does not have.

But, can I control the fans (which are connected to a controller) and the LED Strips via the built in Aura Sync

Unfortunately, no. You could purchase the Corsair Commander Pro which controls all LEDs (4-pin or 3-pin) via the Corsair iCue software, but it's pricey. There may be other LED control boxes but I can't speak to their functionality or compatibility.

Really want to avoid two control systems and I assumed by buying this mobo that everything could just connect there and done.

Yeah unfortunately your motherboard does not utilize the necessary headers to control your fans RGB. Pricier motherboards can utilize both RGB variants.

Last edited: