Left-clicking mouse sometimes IMMEDIATELY shuts down computer...Need Help!

Stereoeggs

Hello, everyone!...

I’ve been experiencing a very strange problem.

I can be working on my computer for a few minutes or a few hours, and then when I left-click my mouse to open a file, or to save a game, or to do just about anything, my computer immediately turns itself off…by which I mean it completely shuts down, and I must turn off the main power supply switch, wait 20 minutes or more, turn the switch back on, and then turn on my front-panel power-on button to restart my computer.

This problem is happening more and more frequently and is starting to cost me a lot of time…and I’m simply clueless.

Does anybody have any idea why left-clicking a mouse to have a computer perform a task (like saving a file) would cause the computer to immediately shut down and power itself off?

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Computer components:

- Dual-boot Windows XP Professional 64-bit (with Service Pack 3) and Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (with Service Pack 1);
- Asus Motherboard P9X79-E WS;
- Intel i7-3820 Quad-Core Processor 3.6 GHz;
- Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler;
- 4 x CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800);
- Mushkin MKNSSDRE1TB Reactor 1TB SATA III 6Gb SSD;
- Crucial M550 1TB SSD;
- Crucial M500 480GB SSD;
- MSI RX480 8GB GDDR5 Gaming X Twin Frozr VI graphics card;
- SeaSonic X-1050 ( SS-1050XM2 ) 1050W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready;
- Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case
- Logitech Wireless Anywhere Mouse MX

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried using a different mouse? It's possible there is short in the wire or usb connection.

beers

Staff member
Have you tried using a different mouse? It's possible there is short in the wire or usb connection.
I'd agree, although it sounds like a wireless one. Do you have a spare unify receiver or could try using a separate USB port?

Stereoeggs

Thanks for your responses.

Yes, I'm using a wireless mouse, but I did try a mouse connected with a cord...and my computer continued to "crash."

It turns out that the "very strange problem" exhibited by my computer was being caused by a failing power supply...which I was able to determine by posting some additional questions.

It's amazing the range of "symptoms" a failing power supply can produce! However, once I installed a new PSU, all of the problems I was experiencing vanished. :p

Thanks again for your help. :)