Legacy to UEFI Bios Question

Computer_Freak

Hi All. Been a while since I’ve posted on here!

I have a question regarding changing legacy bios to UEFI that I haven’t been able to find anywhere online.

I have recently updated our office PCs to the following, clean install.

Intel Core i5 13500
MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4
16gb RAM
2 NVME SSD
Windows 11 (installed using GPT partition)

The problem arises because I kept my old GPU’s.

The old GPU do not have UEFI support (GTX560 and GT620)

If I remove the GFX cards, which I don’t need as we are using the PC for work (docs, browsing, video streaming) am I able to just switch the bios to UEFI or will I have to reinstall windows to do so?

when first installed, it was on a hybrid CSM/UEFI boot but when I tried changing to UEFI the cards show as not supported and reverted the system to a CSM bios only (not hybrid).

Is there anything else I may be missing to make this change?

Thanks for the assistance!
C_F

Computer_Freak

I have read that article.

Although the options it gives is:

Perform Clean Install
Convert Harddrive to GPT via their software then change it.

So as long as my hard drives are GPT, I can change to uefi without issue as that (and modern hardware that supports it) is the limiting factor? No issues will arise from having the installation done on a Legacy bios because of the graphics card?

Intel_man

VIP Member
So as long as my hard drives are GPT, I can change to uefi without issue as that (and modern hardware that supports it) is the limiting factor? No issues will arise from having the installation done on a Legacy bios because of the graphics card?
Technically, if your bios is on legacy. GPT is not an option. So if your harddrives are already on GPT, then your bios is in CSM/UEFI if you've got legacy hardware that isn't fully compatible with UEFI.

Is there a specific reason you want to move to a UEFI only bios?

It sounds like you're already on CSM/UEFI... so if you want to go to a UEFI only bios (by disabling CSM in your bios), then the only thing you should need to do is to plug in your display to the motherboard rear i/o and pull out your old gpu iirc.

Computer_Freak

Yeah it is on UEFI/CSM mode. If its the case of just taking out the hardware that contstrains the system, then i will be doing that.
Need the change cause i need to secure the hard drives and encrypt them for work purposes, as we live in a high crime country.

Thanks guys, appreciate the input!