Legit computer repair or ripoff?

Shu

I have an HP a6120n desktop that I got a few years ago with Windows Vista 32 bit and 2 Gb ram. It’s still a decent machine. I since upgraded to Windows 7 Pro, and then MS was nice enough to upgrade to Windows 10 without even asking me (I actually said NO many times).

I put in two more gigs ram and another 500 gig hd.

I lost Ethernet access on it the other day. After checking the modem, I took it to a local repair shop who showed good reviews on yelp.

He said the video card is dead, and put in a GeForce 210..and marked it up 200%. I wasn’t sure what the video had to do with it, but he said it’s an integrated chipset. The Ethernet started working again, but I had no sound. I took it back, and he couldn’t figure it out. So he said he’d reinstall Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

The way he ran it all down to me seemed kinda weird, but I thought I’d go with it since I had few options.

Does any of this sound right to you?

AlienMenace

I agree with Darren, this tech is useless.
Did you have video before you took it into the shop? Ethernet, doesn't have anything to do with video. In less he did something that burned the chip out himself. And a GeForce 210, only cost around 35.00 dollars. Sometimes when you lose connection, it could be a few things wrong. The internet company might have had a outage in your area. That happens to me once in a while. Or modem and/router, I sometimes unplug the power to these for about 20 sec. and then plug back in, kind of a reboot for the connection. Sound: he might not have gotten right sound drivers back into your computer right, when he put windows 7 back on.

Darren

Staff member
On a slight side note. If a computer ever comes in with internet issues that isn't a driver problem or access point (meaning it doesn't work on customers network or ours) I just reset Internet Options and that fixes it 9 times out of 10. He probably just upsold you the 210 and then broke the audio driver when installing the Nvidia software suite and then reinstalled Windows as an amateur last resort.