Lenovo AIO Ideacenter -- fan always running, machine shutting down

chessplayer

The fan on my Lenovo Ideacentre AIO 700 24" PC, running Windows 10, purchased about 1.5 years ago, is always running, even when few programs are open. Sometimes the computer shuts down, perhaps due to overheating. Reading about similar problems online, one suggestion made is to open the computer and clean it with compressed air. Should I do that?

Are all-in-one machines in general or my Lenovo AIO in particular more likely to have an overheating problem than the usual tower PC? If so I may avoid buying an AIO next time.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would get it checked out. I'm not sure how accessible the fan is on those all in ones though. If the fan is running at a high rate of speed then its most likely getting hot and shutting down to prevent damage to cpu. Its a lot easier taking care of and upgrading a desktop pc then an all in one. You can try a can of compressed air but be careful.

_Kyle_

@johnb35 is right. The computer is most likely shutting itself down to prevent damage from heat. The CPU fan/heatsink is probably dusty, so target that first.

chessplayer

Thanks to both people who replied. Simply blowing away dust near the fan vents has stopped the computer from shutting down for the last few weeks. Although
the fans make noise almost all the time, I can deal with this until I get a new computer, which will not be an AIO.

Darren

Staff member
I've repaired several of those and they do like to overheat if not provided adequate airflow. Redoing the thermal paste is a good idea but they're a PITA to open depending on the model.