Lenovo Legion 5 Issues

FNHFive7

Hi guys, and thank you for having me on the forum :). I do have an issue or two I wanted to ask about, but also I have been wanting to find a good PC related forum for awhile now as I am always running into something or other and I am pretty dumb with this type of stuff. So, here are my questions if anyone has time to give me a little advice:

1. I just bought a new Lenovo Legion 5 last week. It has an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz, 32GB DDR and 1TB SSD, and a GeForce RTX2060 just so you know a little about it. The main thing I kinda worry about is the heat. I downloaded HWMonitor to keep a close eye on it and even with an old game like Everquest (running 3 accounts) sometimes it will go from like 40 degrees C to 70-80 almost instantly. I usually keep it in the mode where it chooses on it's own if it needs to be in "Performance" or not, but I don't think I have ever seen it actually go into that mode unless I manually turn it on. Should I have it in performance mode all the time when I game? And is it normal for the CPU to go from like 40-60 degrees in 1-2 seconds?

2. My second question kinda goes along with the 1st. I am wondering if you guys think I should order a good thermal paste and put that on?? I have never done it before, so even the thought if doing it makes me nervous as I would hate to screw something up, but if you guys think I should I will try. And if so, which thermal pastes are the best?

3. My final question is about the battery life. This thing is TERRIBLE in that category-like 1 hour and 15 mins when gaming. I saw someone on Youtube change there battery out for a larger one and it looked really easy, but at the same time, they probably know what they are doing whereas I really don't lol.

I think that's about it for now. I really do appreciate any and all info and guidance, so very much. I did not see a place to introduce myself, but if there is one let me know and I'll be happy to. Thanks so much in advance.

Josh

beers

Staff member
1) Mobile temps usually reserve the fan for higher values since you trade off noise, the values you listed aren't horrendous.
2) Possibly, usually the factory one lasts for a couple years though. Huge notable improvement on older laptops to disassemble/dust-out/paste though. For a new system under warranty I wouldn't bother.
3) Gaming on battery will always be abysmal