Lenovo M73 Thinkcentre won't display on Samsung TV

amodoko

Just a general question about these mini desktops... I just got this and was pretty excited to try it out. I don't actually own a monitor, as I only own laptops, so I was going to hook it up to my Samsung TV (it is an older flat panel that is not a smart TV). The M73 Thinkcentre has display port on it, so I hooked it up via a display port adapter to the TV and I can't get any picture. With my laptops that have display port, it is a non-issue, the TV always displays picture... but it won't display it with the Thinkcentre. I'm assuming the Thinkcentre has to be set to something for it to be recognized by the TV. Is there any way I can get the TV to recognize it? Or do I have to go out and buy a PC monitor?

(P.S. I currently don't have a keyboard hooked up to it, but I don't think that should affect its ability to display picture)

amodoko

Okay, I ended up just going out and buying a monitor. Glad I am able to at least see it on a screen. I cannot get a wireless network installed on it after downloading drivers. Do these things sometimes not come with wifi? I am currently only able to connect to the internet via an ethernet connection when using it.

amodoko

Oh, that makes sense. It has been a while since I've even messed with a desktop, but I was thinking that since this one was a mini desktop that it may come with one. I believe the ones that do come with it have like an antenna on it anyways, and this one doesn't. Either way, you are right, and I am sure that this does not have a wireless card. Thanks!

Lax

VIP Member
As per Lenovo's site (http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops/thinkcentre/m-series-tiny/m73/) that SHOULD come with a Wireless adapter (I don't believe it's optional). Have you checked your device manager to see if you do actually have one and it just isn't installed correctly? You would also be able to tell fairly quickly if there is wireless by looking on the back for the antenna hole.

As for the display issue how old is OLD, the computer is most likely trying to output at 1080p+ and the TV may simply be out of range.

SG Ehren

Most PC's don't come with a wireless card unless its a custom built PC. You can buy one for $20-$80. Asus makes a good one and its not too expensive either.

amodoko

Hmm, after looking into it further, the M73 does have an antenna hole on the back (see photos) . But I looked at my device manager, and no wireless card is shown, just ethernet. What do you think is going on? I bought this second hand, I did not buy it new, so how would I go about getting wifi on it if has the wireless card inside? Or do you think this one does not have a wireless card inside since it does not seem to show up in the device manager based on my photos?

Attachments

• IMG_3793.jpg
    IMG_3793.jpg
    467 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3794.JPG
    IMG_3794.JPG
    607.1 KB · Views: 5

SG Ehren

You do need an antenna. So I would look into buying one. Just find out what wireless card you have and find an antenna for it.

amodoko

Okay thanks, but wouldn't it show up in the device manager? No wireless card shows up in the device manager (photo in previous post) so I assumed I didn't have one.

amodoko

Okay, I figured out how to take it apart, but I don't know much about computers to be able to tell if it even has a wireless card. So here are some pictures that I attached. I believe there isn't a wireless card based on these photos. However, it does look like there may be an empty slot for where a wifi card can be installed (the empty tan slot, under the hard drive that can be seen once I remove the hard drive). So maybe it can have a wireless card, but this one simply didn't come with one?

Attachments

• IMG_3795.JPG
    IMG_3795.JPG
    539.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3796.JPG
    IMG_3796.JPG
    779.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3801.JPG
    IMG_3801.JPG
    456.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3802.JPG
    IMG_3802.JPG
    429.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3799.JPG
    IMG_3799.JPG
    523.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3800.JPG
    IMG_3800.JPG
    542.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3804.JPG
    IMG_3804.JPG
    679.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3807.JPG
    IMG_3807.JPG
    720 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3808.JPG
    IMG_3808.JPG
    477.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3809.JPG
    IMG_3809.JPG
    514.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, the only way to get wireless for that is to use a usb wireless adapter since that model doesn't have any pciexpress slots on the motherboard to accept one.

SG Ehren

And those really are not very expensive as is. You can find them on almost any big retail website. I use Amazon a lot because I get huge discounts with Prime and Business and I know that they have good ones on there!

amodoko

Hey thanks for everyone's help! Much appreciated! I do have a question though still, as you can see in the photo I have attached here, doesn't this have a slot for a wireless card? I know that this model can come with one I believe. I double checked and was able to finally find a youtube video of an M73 that is disassembled. If you check this video out at 3:45 (
), that model has a wifi card. And if you look at my photo I have attached, there is an empty slot in that location. So I was assuming I could install a wifi card directly on the motherboard, correct? Also, I know I can go the USB wifi route, which is a great idea, but I was just wondering if it was even possible to install a wifi card directly to the motherboard based on the photo and the video.

Attachments

• IMG_3807.JPG
    IMG_3807.JPG
    727.5 KB · Views: 5

SG Ehren

I don't believe that is a wireless card slot. You would be better off to just buy a wireless USB stick for the wireless use on your Desktop. It may take up a USB spot but you can always buy a 4 port USB add on for more USB ports. So I would go with the wireless USB stick

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Even if that was a wireless card slot, you don't have the wire or the external antenna to hook it up. Just get a usb adapter.

Lax

VIP Member
That IS a slot you could install a micro PCIe wireless card into. The slot is named on the right side as you can see as mPCIe 1, most of your slots will be labeled in some way on the board itself. As mentioned previously though you would be better off buying a USB card or some sort of external card just for ease of use and install.

amodoko

Sorry, did not see these posts till now. I did not get notified via email for some reason. But thanks for the tip, I did not know the slots were labeled until you just told me. Looks like a wireless card could be installed then. But I will go the easy route with the USB adapter, I was more just curious if it was possible to install a wireless card. I actually already purchased the USB adapter, just waiting for it to come in the mail now. Thanks guys.