Lens Hood Issue

Justin

VIP Member
most probably that's not the correct hood for that lens. that happened to me when i got the wrong hood (petal type) for my 18-55 as well.

Nanobyte

I also suspected the hood. The other factor is that with short focal lengths, it's much easier to get your trigger hand in the way, especially with gloves in Winter.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Can you see the hood through the viewer?

No I can't. Even when I use Live View mode I can't see it on the display either. It's only after the picture is taken that I see it.

I also suspected the hood. The other factor is that with short focal lengths, it's much easier to get your trigger hand in the way, especially with gloves in Winter.

This is not a short lens, and my trigger finger is pretty far away from the edge of the lens, as well as my other hand, as I always have my other hand on the lens itself holding the camera steady.

I'm thinking it may have something to do with where the source of light is when I take a picture. I'm going to have to play around with it and see.

Nanobyte

What is so odd is that the effect is only down one side and that the effect does not occur when the hood is removed. You would expect the effect to have symmetry per the hood if that is the issue.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
What is so odd is that the effect is only down one side and that the effect does not occur when the hood is removed. You would expect the effect to have symmetry per the hood if that is the issue.

I think it's a lighting issue, because I don't have the issue all the time. I always shoot with the lens hood on and don't always have the issue.

Geoff

VIP Member
I have that issue when I use a flash with the lens hood on, but not without a lens hood. I think we will need to meet up again so we can troubleshoot it in person!