LG GSA4040B combo drive no longer recognizes DVD's

prost

Please help I am running XP with my LG GSA-4040B combo DVD/CD drive. It no longer recognizes DVD's but still runs CD's fine. In addition it will no longer let B's clip run - it just says it is an error and closes. I have just recently installed a second hard drive but I believe this problem was before that. I had also recently installed 'The Sims' game and I believe I had gotten rid of a couple of DVD writing apps such as NeoDVD and Nero ? I have tried to re-install the original B's clip and B's GOld Recorder 5 with updates but no help... :eek:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Have a go at ASPI

ASPI, Advanced SCSI Programming Interface, is the source of enough problems with anything even remotely related to an optical drive. Note that Windows2000 and WindowsXP do NOT come with ASPI installed and many users, just starting to do more than basic activities with their drives are encountering problems left and right. ASPI is one of the simplest things to check for -- it just takes one reboot. For more information regarding ASPI see http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/aspisetup.cfm . IMPORTANT: when checking the version numbers, all four the version numbers have to match identically otherwise the ASPI is not installed correctly/completely regardless of whatever the checker says (this is especially true for Nero's InfoTools which only checks for the presence of the files rather than matching version numbers).

99thompson

I had the same problem with this DVD Drive! I phoned the helpline but they advised me that it was an common error with a certain batch of these devices. I got it replaced with a newer version of the drive!

99thompson

I'm not certain but i read the serial code on the top of the drive to the helpline and they said i should just exchange it!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
i read the serial code on the top of the drive to the helpline and they said i should just exchange it!
They said they'd exchange it without giving any reasons?