LGA775 CPU upgrade question

Status
Not open for further replies.

H4rdR3s37

Oh god. We are talking about 2 different companies. Intel and AMD. So maybe P4 and C2D used the same voltage memory support but maybe it was the 965 chipset that somehow made the C2D perform better. Same thing between the difference between the am3 and am3+ boards. You have to think that way too. The one to ask about the AMD difference would be @StrangleHold. He could tell you why you needed am3+ to run FX processors.

Different companies on some cases but i945 example applies to Intel only. 965 chipset has support for bigger FSB but if 965 board is made to support only Pentium 4 CPU's, then motherboard does not accept C2D.

AM3 and AM3+ has different power requirements. Some AM3 boards support AM3+ CPU's but power savings etc are disabled. Anyway compatibility is about socket, not chipset.

All of these chipsets will support LGA774 Pentium 4 and NOT C2D.

i845GV/GE/i848P/i865G/GV/P/PE/i910GL/i915G/GL/GV/P/PL/i925X

Although some 865s can with a BIOS update, the 925 cannot as the VRM standard (10.something) and the fact that the 915/925/955 series chipsets (unlike their predecessors, the 865/875 series and their successors, the 945 etc series) have support for more than one core disabled preclude the use of Core microarchitecture processors.

http://d1.amobbs.com/bbs_upload782111/files_51/ourdev_716308JV2GQY.pdf

Some older i945 boards do not support C2D but some newer does. That makes it clear that VRM requirement comes from motherboard and not chipset.

While some chipset needed spesific support for Pentium D, it's different thing than C2D. Pentium 4 cores communicate with front side bus (so chipset support is needed). C2D cores communicate with L2 cache. So while no multi core support applies that way to Pentium D (and also Core 2 quad), it does not apply that way to C2D.

Status
Not open for further replies.