"Limited Connectivity" question.

Todd4a

Hi guys,
I just got a laptop and router from my mother in law. the router is a d-link wbr-1310. The problem i have is that it kicks me off constantly. a triangle with an exclamation mark comes down at the bottom and i lose my connection. it could be 5 minutes or two hours before kicking me off, but usually within 15 minutes, and even quicker if i try to watch a video on youtube or any online video. I'm not sure where to look to check if its set up right. I just stuck the cd in and followed the directions. my desktop is running xp and my laptop is running vista, and i have updated all the network drivers.
I don't know what ipv4 and ipv6 connectivity is, but it says internet on ipv4 and limited on ipv6. it is really annoying to be kicked off so much. when it goes to limited connectivity i disconnect and try to reconnect and i the computer does not find my network. i have to restart the computer. please point me in the right direction. I'm ok with computers but in no way an expert so please be a little detailed if you have an idea. Thanks
Todd

AdmnPower

VIP Member
could be a problem with the wireless card in your computer, do you have the same problem on other wireless networks or just yours? IPv4 is what you're using, don't worry about IPv6. There's a big long explination about how it all works and why IPv6 will be replacing version 4 (not enough public IP addresses on the internet for everyone that needs them)

lawson_jl

Assuming you don't have issues with your hardware you can improve your wireless performance by doing the following.

1. Upgrade router firmware.
2. Upgrade wireless driver.
3. Replace worn cables.
4. Proper router placement: Off the floor, away from metal objects, away from high powered electronics and appliances.

Last edited:

lawson_jl

Now that you have tried step 2 of my suggestion have you tried 1, 3 and 4? Also have you tried connecting to a different network like AdmnPower suggested?

aviation_man

Your computer might be timing out - then kicking you off. I had that problem where I'd have to restart my router in order to get connection for a few hours then it'd time out again.
What you might want to try is: Get to command prompt (Start, in the little search bar at the bottom type "cmd". Type in "ipconfig/all". There it will display everything from your IPV4 IP address to your DNS server. Keep command prompt open.
Next, go to Network and Sharing Center (Or something like "Network connections" then right click on your local area connection) There you will see something that says " Connections: Local Area Connection" Click on Local Area Connection. A box will appear, inside this box, highlight (click on) "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) - Click on properties once that is highlighted. There you should select " Use the following IP adress"

Under this you will see a bunch of spaces.
Ip address --- xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Subnet mask xxx.xxx.xxx.x
Default Gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.x

Then at the bottom select " Use the following DNS server addresses"
Preferred DNS server: xxx.xxx.xxx.x
(Note, You don't have to put in an alternate, just the preferred)

Now from the command prompt where all the Addresses are, fill in the blacks (i.e IPv4 address.......xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx That address will go into the "Ip address" blank"
And so on and so on)

Sorry if it got a little confusing - It's hard to explain :p