Limited or No Connectivity?

thebeginning

I've had a very strange 24 hours. My Norton had expired and I hadn't had the chance to update/install to the newest version, and I accidentally clicked on a malicious link. It loaded a few malwares/trojans onto my computer, particularly the 'ICPP Copyright Violation Alert' ransomware and 'Malware Doctor' spyware. I found a fix for those by installing/using spybot search and destroy and malwarebytes. I also installed the newest norton, ran updates, and ran a few scans again with each software to make sure everything was clean.

I eventually got my desktop back to normal again, but I ran into a problem. My internet wouldn't connect. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get connectivity. I could see that my computer was detecting my modem (I live in an apartment hooked up with ATT Uverse), but I had no connectivity.

The strange part is that Norton and spybot were able to find and download updates.

I assumed a firewall was to blame, so I disabled the windows firewall and Norton firewall (even after making exceptions in both for Chrome and Safari), but there was no change.

Then I figured Norton was to blame, so I downloaded their Norton remover tool and uninstalled the program to try again. No luck. I even did a system restore to a few days ago (before the whole incident), and it did nothing.

I read somewhere that I should try clearing my temp files but I'm not sure if I should or not at this point.

Is there some gaping hole I'm missing? From what I've found it seems like I've tried most of the fixes, including tweaks and recreates in the network settings.

I'm at a loss...

I'm running Vista Business 64-bit (ignore the specs in my sig, I have a new machine now)

deanj20

Try this: http://download.cnet.com/LSPFix/3000-2085_4-10417026.html Also, you could try doing rolling back to a System Restore Point, if you have System Restore enabled...

Also, download and run HijackThis! (get the executable) and post your log back here - you may still be infected.

Uninstall Norton. It's crap. Replace it with Microsoft Security Essentials. Also, while Spybot S&D was good "back in the day" I think Malwarebyte's Antimalware is a much better program.

You may also try going to Control Panel-->System-->Hardware tab-->Device Manager and right clicking your network adapter and selecting "uninstall" - then reboot the machine and go through the install process for the hardware...

I experienced a similar problem on a client's machine a couple of months back, and nothing I tried would work. I finally ended up backing up her personal data and doing a complete reformat/reinstall. That will fix it for sure. ;)

faheem334

dear lan shows this message "limited or no connectivity" because either your cable is damaged or it is not plugged into the switch or hub port, please contact you network administrator as soon as possible.