linksys router in xp pro

graedus

hi guys. did a fresh install of xp pro sp3 recently. got my router configured well enough to run my desktop, but can't seem to get the darned thing to recognize my gf's laptop. it's an hp laptop that came with vista, but now also has the same xp pro sp3 from my computer. the linksys router is model #WRT160N. i've never setup a home network before, much less one including wireless devices, and for someone who's been around computers as long as me to not know this is embarassing. can you guys please help me regain my geek status in front of my gf?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Most likely you need the driver for the lan port or the wireless driver.

However, you used your own cd on two computers? How did you activate both with the same key? Thats Illegal.

graedus

You know what i mean, same as in both are xp pro service pack 3. i have the linksys cd that came with the router, but it isn't recognizing the laptop. when i tried to hook up the laptop directly (via my lan cable by-passing the router) to the windows update to finalize the xp pro install, i can't even get that to work, it won't recognize any connection.

graedus

ok, i got it all figured out now. dl'd the hp drivers, framework 2.0, and now we're connected and updating on microsoft update......wirelessly.

Last edited: