linpus linux????

NyxCharon

Ubuntu is great for starters right? Yes I am very aware of other Linux Distro's considering I have used many other's but for someone to start off with I am going to recommend Ubuntu.

Yes Ubuntu does offer paid apps but they haven't limited there open source either.

I suppose. But if you ever leave Ubuntu to some other distro, they kinda set you up to fail. Everything is done for you, which is nice. But once you move to a different distro and something breaks, your kinda lost since you never used the terminal before and your not really even sure what the problem is. Like i said, there's plenty of distro's out there, and when it comes to starters, I'm going to stick with Linux Mint as my suggestion. Like i said, it's all a matter of preference and opinion.

wolfeking

banned
their offering of freeware isnt whats at hand. They have paid apps, that pollutes the freeware standard that Linux stands for.

As for the beginner. Mint all the way. for a couple of reasons actually. 1. DVD play support out of the box. Ubuntu doesnt do this, and as proof, take a stroll over to ubuntu forums. There are thousands of threads on how to enable commercial DVD playback. 2. Its command menus are closer to windows, helps linux beginners. 3. Massive amount of included programs to be better suited for use out of the box.

wolfeking

banned
only in gaming support. Otherwise, then I hardly think so.
for example, I dont think it cost them $200 to get it to speak another language to us. Or to add XP mode.

DMGrier

VIP Member
their offering of freeware isnt whats at hand. They have paid apps, that pollutes the freeware standard that Linux stands for.

As for the beginner. Mint all the way. for a couple of reasons actually. 1. DVD play support out of the box. Ubuntu doesnt do this, and as proof, take a stroll over to ubuntu forums. There are thousands of threads on how to enable commercial DVD playback. 2. Its command menus are closer to windows, helps linux beginners. 3. Massive amount of included programs to be better suited for use out of the box.

This is true, but if you look at linux and it's philosphy you will know that using anything that cannot be altered and passed along should not be used. Many Linux users comaplin about Ubuntu's paid apps but it is funny how a lot I find (not saying you) are using the drivers provided fromm Nvidia or Radeon for there cards.

Just installed Fedora 15, I like gnome 3.0 :)

wolfeking

banned
15 is out?

I know what you mean by the drivers. However, not all of the raedon/Geforce drivers are locked programs. In PClinuxOS, you get a choice between the propitiatory Nvidia (CCC is installed by default) or an open source (able to view, change, and redistribute) Nvidia driver.
I actually have some hope from it that I may be able to mod that open source into XP/200pro.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Yeah 15 is out and from what I see so far very stable. I am in love with this new gnome shell, it make multi tasking even easier then the old gnome shell but I still do miss the old gnome shell for it's simplicity.

I will say the one thing about Fedora I like is it comes pretty stripped down in comparison to Ubuntu. I have spent sometime getting programs installed and codecs for some other programs so they work which I do not mind, it is basically like they don't want your OS filled with crap, only what crap you want.

I am going to stick with Fedora 15 for a while and if I like it, in the next few months I am going to look into maybe purchasing some Red Hat.

old_school

If your going Linux I was allways told go BSD and then go Wine. So far ive done this my self with no problems. Works a hell of alot better then windows and cleaner. But I still depend on windows for alot things that must be done around my office. Not every business tool can support Linux so you need both OS's sometimes.

DMGrier

VIP Member
If your going Linux I was allways told go BSD and then go Wine. So far ive done this my self with no problems. Works a hell of alot better then windows and cleaner. But I still depend on windows for alot things that must be done around my office. Not every business tool can support Linux so you need both OS's sometimes.

That is why it is best for people to let us know there needs out of there OS, so we can make the best suggestion. Linux is not for everybody but it is for a lot of people and it never hurst to give it a try.

NyxCharon

That is why it is best for people to let us know there needs out of there OS, so we can make the best suggestion. Linux is not for everybody but it is for a lot of people and it never hurst to give it a try.

+1. There is a distro for EVERYONE, i guarantee that. :p

FYI old_school, BSD=/= linux.
BSD=Unix
Linux=Unix
Hell, Mac=Unix.

Nothing that important, me just being picky. :p