linux 9.2

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Are you installing linux for the first time?

.. and what flavor/brand of linux are you using?

robina_80

yes, ive got linux 9.2 dont know if that makes a difference and also how many disks does it come with because ive downloaded 1 685mb isnt it 3286mb which is 3-5 cds. oh yeah im using the brand, SuSe

Last edited:

SFR

Truth fears no questions
well.... for madrake there are 3 cd's ... if you DL it off the net EACH disk has about 600+ MB on it...

you have to DL all of them!

I know Fedora has 4... dunno about SUSE... but I would guess 3-5 and each will have around 600+ MB on them.

Verrona

My version of Fedora only has 2 disks cant remember wot version.... i know its a recent version though

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
I've read that Mandrake was great for newbies... It was the first Distro I've used and it was pretty simple. Redhat is a great distro also and of course Suse to name a few of the top distros..

Try Mandrake if your new..

Super_Nova

I assume you mean Mandrake Linux 9.2 as the linux kernel has only reached version 2.6.x
Although you could be refering to any number of Linux distrobutions as many have had a version 9.2

I think Fedora makes a good Newbie linux myself.

Verrona

I found that Mandrake was good for starters however,..... the bad thing was that the fonts were terrible. Everything was hard 2 read, even when changing them; this made it better for a little while but soon got annoyed with it that i changed to Red Hat 8.2!!

I still need to install Fedora, cant remember which version it is though

robina_80

sorry to keep on asking questions but have any of you guys got a url of a free linux software if you could much appreciated thanks

Imaruki

I liked Mandrake a lot when I first started learning Linux. I still use it on a dual boot system right now. One of my laptops, the 600MHz Toshiba I have (not my more powerful one), has Knoppix on it because I love wardriving...:cool:

Super_Nova

I liked mandrake at first. But when I tried to install Mandrake 10 the soundcard squeeled and wouldn't stop. Features like the easy to use network browser in Fedora and other easy stuff is what won me over to Fedora. Knoppix is really good for a beginner too because you can play around with Linux without actually installing it and making any permanent changes.