Linux and windows

Dsk954

One of my buddies has recently converted over into linux and I thought it would be a neat thing to try. The only problem with this is that I have no idea how to do this duel-booting thing with linux/windows xp pro. Say my HD has windows XP on it, would it be possible for me to get a second HD and install linux/the duel-booting software on there and run it like that? Can someone try and explain this to me or point me in the direction of a resource that would not be filled with super hyper computer mumbo jumbo?

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
One of my buddies has recently converted over into linux and I thought it would be a neat thing to try. The only problem with this is that I have no idea how to do this duel-booting thing with linux/windows xp pro

Linux actualy makes this duel boot process real simple :)... When you instal linux you'll have an option to instal a boot loader, once installed everytime you turn on your computer you'll get a screen asking what OS you'd like to boot into too :)..

harrisonb

yerm i agree, its preety self explanitory.

As you install linuc, it is one of the pages.

You just graphically by dragging it on a bar chart sort of thing re size your windows partition to whatever you want, then, if you like (i didnt bother as i have plenty of RAM create a SWAP partition. Thats also quite easy, i beleive there is a button at the top, then you just drag on the bar chart thing how much you want as a SWAP partition. Then use what evers left for linux.

Its easier than it sounds, i aint no computer bof and i managed to work it out!

Ben

Dsk954

cool thanks! It would work if I have Xp installed on my current HD and I installed a second, blank HD to install linux on?

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
It would work if I have Xp installed on my current HD and I installed a second, blank HD to install linux on?

I've never ran a duel boot setup with 2 HD's but i've done with 1 single one so i'm not sure how that works exactly with the boot loader... but your not going to hurt anything to instal linux on the second hd let the bootloader instal and give er a whirl! :) not like you'll hurt your windows setup at all :)..

Certain mobos will let you choose a boot drive on the fly... Mine for example when booting will let me hit a hotkey such as F8 then it'll ask me what device i want to boot from, real fast and simple.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Everytime I see the word Linux I almost start to cry....

While its far from perfect (and if you havent noticed each new version - no matter what flavor it is - keeps CREAPING CLOSER TO THE LOOK OF WINDOWS ...which I hate.. anyway ..sorry got off track) its nice to turn on two of my comps and not see the words MICROSOFT tattooed across the screen...............

..as for dual booting ANY windows system with linux....... previous posters are correct.... its a cinch... ANY LINUX version will create a seperate PARTITION on your HD and there is NO NEED TO run out and buy another HD......

oh and just wondering what flavor of linux ARE you planning on putting on your comp???

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Mandrake is great for newbs so take a look C :).. it's actualy pretty good.