Linux Help

weixifan

I am trying to help my friend regain his Internet access...except that his OS is Suse LINUX! I'm not familiar at all with the Linux architecture of system settings, can anyone suggest something?

He is apparently having trouble getting Linux realizing that the ethernet cards exist. His two ethernet cards are both functional (I tested them on my own computer.)

If everyone is not a Linux expert, could anyone refer me to a good Linux forum?

Thanks so much!!

[tab]

[...]
Has it previously worked and has now stopped, or is your friend trying to set it up for the first time?

Your friend should first check that the drivers are loaded using 'lsmod', if so, then he should check the config with 'ifconfig -a'.

If the drivers are not loaded, then you need to load them using 'insmod'.

What make/model are the network cards?

weixifan

Thank you so much for the reply. Here is the detailed story:

The cards' manufacturers and models are 3Com--EtherLink XL and NetGear--FA311.

Some time before now they both worked under Red Hat Linux. But after his uninstallation of Red Hat and installation of Suse Linux, both cards apparently stopped working. I didn't know whether it is that he installed both at the same time (into different PCI slots) and they both didn't work, or it is that he installed them separately (into the same or different PCI slots) and both didn't work. I'm not sure whether he loaded the drivers or not. Also, I'm having trouble finding a Suse Linux driver for the NetGear FA311 card.

In confusion, I took both of them home and tested them. I found part of the problem: the 3Com card is damaged. The NetGear card is perfectly fine.

What could be the possible situations? Again, thanks for your reply.

[tab]

[...]
The Netgear FA311 card appears to use the natsemi driver... have a play around with that and see if it helps.