Linux Ubuntu

ssal

If I have a machine loaded with the Linux Ubuntu OS, would my Windows programs like MS Office, PhotoShop run?

z3r0

If I have a machine loaded with the Linux Ubuntu OS, would my Windows programs like MS Office, PhotoShop run?

In Wine, the Windows emulation software for Linux. Virtual Box is also another option.

ssal

Not native, no. As stated above there are ways to get it working in Wine or in Viurtialbox, but it's not always easy or stable. Try using linux alternatives instead of Wine

If it cannot run Windows programs, at least effective, without problem, why would someone use that OS?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
If it cannot run Windows programs, at least effective, without problem, why would someone use that OS?

A lot of people that run Linux don't run programs that run on Windows :cool:

DMGrier

VIP Member

I run office 2010 Pro Plus with with an application called crossover in Ubuntu Linux and it runs so flawlessly it feels native.

I run Ubuntu Linux as every application I would use in Windows is available for Linux, office is the only application I use which I have to use a Windows emulation tool. For me I use Ubuntu Linux due to superior stability, faster installation time and nothing will piss me off more when I go use an admin tool in Windows and it is not available due to the wrong license where as the only difference between Ubuntu is 32 bit and 64 bit.

Punk

Staff member

Because these aren't the only softwares that can do what they can do... In Fact I don't even use MS Office but Open Office which is basically a Windows version of LibreOffice.

ssal

Because these aren't the only softwares that can do what they can do... In Fact I don't even use MS Office but Open Office which is basically a Windows version of LibreOffice.

Maybe so for you. But there is no denial that MS Office is the most popular applications in computers around the world. Glad to hear that there are tools out there that would make it run.

Once you install that tool, would all Windows based programs run?

z3r0

Maybe so for you. But there is no denial that MS Office is the most popular applications in computers around the world. Glad to hear that there are tools out there that would make it run.

Wouldn't count on it. Why not keep a Windows install on a separate partition so you can switch back and forth when needed? That would get rid of any compatibility issues Win programs have running in Wine or VBox. :)

EDIT: Since the subject of Office came up, why not try the free WPS Office program? It's virtually identical to MSOffice and installs and runs on Linux. I use it on Windows 7 and prefer it to Microsoft's brand. :)

Last edited:

Punk

Staff member

That doesn't mean it has to be installed in order for you to create documents. Open Office and Libre Office open MS Office documents. They are the same tools, with a different UI, and one of them is free.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
But there is no denial that MS Office is the most popular applications in computers around the world.

There are two reasons for that:

1. Business use
2. Unless you're into the IT world, you're unlikely to run Linux or another OS that doesn't support Microsoft Office.

silv55

A lot of people that run Linux don't run programs that run on Windows :cool:

I agree with you; why would anybody want to run Linux and expect to run Win software and expect it to run 100%! Wine is outstanding too,it does miracles, i think that Ubuntu is outstanding and for most people it can do most stuff that win does and in some cases even better.
Yet i'll ask anybody? does Win run Linux software? and i'll leave it to that.

ssal

That doesn't mean it has to be installed in order for you to create documents. Open Office and Libre Office open MS Office documents. They are the same tools, with a different UI, and one of them is free.

MS Office has a lock on the corporate world. No so much MS Words. But Excel is the de facto interchange tool. Plus a lot of vba templates that has been developed. Google's spreadsheet just doesn't cut it.

I am just curious and want to learn for the future. I am now using Windows 7 and 8.1 and am pretty happy with it. I have tons of applications and software invested in Windows. I don't see the need to change unless unforeseen events happen.

Thanks all for the education.:D

ssal

I agree with you; why would anybody want to run Linux and expect to run Win software and expect it to run 100%! Wine is outstanding too,it does miracles, i think that Ubuntu is outstanding and for most people it can do most stuff that win does and in some cases even better.
Yet i'll ask anybody? does Win run Linux software? and i'll leave it to that.

I was comtemplating trying out ubuntu a few months ago. I had an old laptop running on XP. When MS stopped supporting XP, I was going to try Linux because it was not worth of spending more $ on a new OS. But the machine was too old to keep and I sold it on eBay.

If you don't want to mess up with VirtualBox or Vine and go straight to the most correct way for me, you should just dual boot. If you don't know how, there are a lot of tutorial videos on YouTube.Well yeah, you should try that.

DMGrier

VIP Member
If you don't want to mess up with VirtualBox or Vine and go straight to the most correct way for me, you should just dual boot. If you don't know how, there are a lot of tutorial videos on YouTube.Well yeah, you should try that.

I have seen dual boot's break after sometime, virtualization is a much better option and I recommend Xen and KVM over virtualbox as they are a far more rock solid application if configured correctly.

silv55

I have seen dual boot's break after sometime, virtualization is a much better option and I recommend Xen and KVM over virtualbox as they are a far more rock solid application if configured correctly.

Well i run Win Xp and Xubuntu 14.04 on Dell DEM 4500 P4 and also XP and Linux Mint 17.1 both with dual boot,i used Auto Partition,installed first Win XP then installed Linux along side Win XP then i booted to Linux and went in terminal typed ''sudo Update grub'' without the quotes,and i never had no crashes or any other problem so far.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Well i run Win Xp and Xubuntu 14.04 on Dell DEM 4500 P4 and also XP and Linux Mint 17.1 both with dual boot,i used Auto Partition,installed first Win XP then installed Linux along side Win XP then i booted to Linux and went in terminal typed ''sudo Update grub'' without the quotes,and i never had no crashes or any other problem so far.

I'm glad for you, but I have seen to often on the Ubuntu forums dual boots go wrong within time. Virtualization is much better for stability and most decent hardware had perform this task.

silv55

I'm glad for you, but I have seen to often on the Ubuntu forums dual boots go wrong within time. Virtualization is much better for stability and most decent hardware had perform this task.

I also heard that OPS runs slower installed in VB!

Agent Smith

Ubuntu comes installed with Libre Office so you don't need MS Office. Ubuntu has a software installer of which I can't remember the name, but you can install a paint program. Like Gimp maybe?

If you install Ubuntu check out Alien for Ubuntu and you can convert tarballs to deb packages. But root access may have to be used for those otherwise they won't compile right.