LInux won't install

mrbagrat

banned
I dowloaded Gentoo linux the other day, and wrote the file to a CD. When I try to boot it up for install, it gives me: No OS found. Insert OS setup disk, and press any key. I installed about a week ago to see if the computer would work, and removed it once I got gentoo, and I haven't touched the bios since.

Perhaps its a problem of how I reformatted the HDD? Any way to wipe it from the BIOS?

Veurruckte

Be sure your CD/DVD ROM is first boot priority in your bios. If it still will not boot off the Gentoo install cd, then try burning the ISO again at a slower speed (10x ought to do it).

You're courageous attempting to install Gentoo at what seems to be your first try at *nix. Don't let the compiling discourage you, most distributions other than Gentoo install with the binaries. Good luck.

mrbagrat

banned
Tried it with 4x, didn't work. I got debian working a while ago, but couldn't get the GUI on so I removed it. BTW, 4x is all the computer I'm burning the CD with. Its on my parents computer which has the program, which is incompatible with XP. Any programs I could download?

B-MAN

The nice thing about gentoo is that you can install it from any livecd that has the basic tools. I even did it with my own livecd once. Just downlaod and burn knoppix and you can browse and chat a bit while you're compiling.

Maybe the gentoo image is just broken or something.. + the gentoo livecd's are command line mode only. You can run the program "screen" to get irssi(irc client) to run next to your compiling but livecd's like knoppix and damn small linux are nicer.

On irc.efnet.net in the channel #gentoo are alot of VERY helpfull ppl that can help you.

Don't feel bad if you install it with a stage3 install (manual will explain what this means). All the tools that are installed binary will be compiled once you update them

Veurruckte

I remember some complications with downloading the right version back when I gave Gentoo a try. Of course this was a while ago, but as said make sure you have the right ISO.