Linuxes

DMGrier

VIP Member
I prefer Fedora to opensuse cause of better intergrated gpu driver support. Just Remember Linux is not perfect, did you google to see if you can install in terminal to better support your hardware?

Not stopping you from using Fedora cause I love gnome 3 and the things that RHEL and the Fedora Project do for the open source community.

jonnyp11

already gone fedora and this is so much better, better performance so far, better asthetics i know, love this stuff, plus it supports my wifi adapter so i'm on it typing this now :D and i love this gnome 3 stuff, so elegint i guess would describe it.

Last edited:

DMGrier

VIP Member
I am running 64 bit and everything runs great with the exception of I cannot get skype video chat to work, says that audio play back failed then closes the video chat. So when Fedora 16 comes out Nov 16th I will go to 32 bit cause the difference for me is only 200 MB for my Vaio.

I am surprised how well Fedora works considering it is suppose to be bleeding edge which means usually a lot of problems and not to mention it is the test platform for RHEL.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Has anyone have any experience with Debian? I heard it is for more advance users but it is more stable due to its fewer releases.

pane-free

Hello, DMGrier --

I'm on 'the other side of the mountains' from you. I've also been using Debian-based distros for awhile, now.

My learning progression in Linux began with PCLOS, went to ubuntu (Jaunty) for almost a year, then to antiX-M8.5 and CrunchBang (both Debian-based) and Mint, used both Salix and Zenwalk for a few months and liked the former better. The precursor to Aptosid helped ease me into Debian, too. When Swift Linux came out, I tried and liked it so much I am still using it. The antiX forum is a great community, as is the one associated with Salix.

A person learns to tweak configuration files more with Debian-based and learns how to make hardware work more (in addition to config files) with the Slackware-based distros. I anticipate learning more with Salix or Slackware in the future.

Fedora is Redhat-based, of course, and works well with older PCs. A couple of the 'Spins' intrigued me, but repository problems turned me off of it. I assume the repos are corrected by now. They look good, too (but I have put heavy DEs like Gnome and KDE behind me now, as well).

Package management and large repos are the two things bringing me back to Debian-based distros. The award-winning script smxi makes initial tweaking a breeze, and includes Liquorix kernels options (which can really make a big difference in laptop performance, in my experience). For all these and more reasons, I encourage all to make the next step from ubuntu-based linux to Debian-based, then Slack-based when the time is right (or Gentoo, if you prefer)!

Last edited:

NyxCharon

Has anyone have any experience with Debian? I heard it is for more advance users but it is more stable due to its fewer releases.

I've always been a debian boy. :p
It's by no means for advanced users, unless you use the (optional) experimental repos. Then you have a lot of bug fixing and package management to control.

I've done net install, complete install, etc of debian. I also like crunchbang linux, which is merely a customized debian install.

Regardless, It's VERY stable, and really easy to use.

DMGrier

VIP Member
The only issue I have had with Debian is the install process, it goes good for me until the point where I try to set up my wireless and then it goes all to hell. Do you know any guides on setting up wireless in the install?

jonnyp11

of course like 30 mins to an hour after i posted all was good with fedora it crashed and wouldn't finish booting, so i'm reinstalling now. all i was doing when it crashed was on this site, only one tab too, so idk what happened.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Did you do your updates? Install any special drivers you might need?

I had a problem doing the update so I just opened termeinal and did su - and then "yum update".

DMGrier

VIP Member
Fedora updates are a must being that with each release there are a lot of new things being tested out since it is the test plat form for RHEL, there are a lot I believe 320 updates which are all security and bug fixes. In terminal on my machine it only takes about 20 minutes and it hardly uses any system resources, earlier I had updates going, the browser with about three tabs, empathy and finally got skype working and was only using 850 MB of memory and about 18% of my cpu.

jonnyp11

tried that with su - jonnyp11 update in the terminal and no dce, and the updater keeps running into an error before even downloading anything

DMGrier

VIP Member
Very odd, so you became root and then you typed "yum update" and if givers you a error, what is the error code?

jonnyp11

not on there right now, will post later, but i think it said something about some update file not being found like it was looking on the hdd, although it didn't take but half a sec to say that so it couldn't have scanned the hdd or anything.

NyxCharon

The only issue I have had with Debian is the install process, it goes good for me until the point where I try to set up my wireless and then it goes all to hell. Do you know any guides on setting up wireless in the install?

http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi

I've never really had a issue when using wifi on any computer, so I'm not to much of help in this issue. It's always worked out of the box for me. That link might be of some help though.

DMGrier

VIP Member
For some reason it won't see my Wifi. I have not been able to figure it out but maybe someday I will give it another shot.

Currently testing Chromium OS. Not to bad, there has been some major app improvements since I tested the Chromebook a few months ago and it maybe a cloud OS but I am going to see what can be done in Terminal with it :).