Linuxes

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
well i'm pretty sure that ubuntu usees gnome3 for the unity, not sure but i think it's linked on the gnome3 site as a gnome3 distro.
Gnome3 and unity are completely separate and independent.

also i think much of the contributions go to things like the ubuntu one, i don't think it's free to get any user a free 2gb's online backup, and i think it said adding more memory was free too just not done at the beginning cuz then it would cost more to do
We're talking about contributions of code like kernel patches.

jonnyp11

well i decided to try opensuse and am currently downloading both the kde and gnome variations of 11.4, i think from the pics the desktop of kde looks a little cooler, but the gnome interface i sort of like, not sure which i would like to use.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
i think from the pics the desktop of kde looks a little cooler, but the gnome interface i sort of like, not sure which i would like to use.
Gnome3 is still fairly new and riddled with various bugs all over the place. It is nice, but rather inconvenient (I use it full time right now). I personally would go with KDE or even LXDE rather than Gnome at this point (and I will as soon as the new Fedora comes out or I decide to try another distro).

DMGrier

VIP Member
Unity was built by Ubuntu and shares some things with gnome 3 but it is completely different U/I and honestly the biggest issue is Ubuntu has made it in a way to only work with there OS, both Fedora and opensuse tried to port it to there OS and both gave up.

After reading what I did last night I am done with Ubuntu, I like it but morally cannot do it. They do not contribute and just use everyone elses work for there personal gain.

Going to install some Fedora.

DMGrier

VIP Member
So I just installed Fedora 15, I like it, gnome 3 provides a much better user experience then unity and I like the color scheme Fedora uses as well.

Some other things I have noticed is it seems to have a strong community back round, much stronger then what I have seen in other distro's. So far all software is working well, I think the only thing I am going to have a problem with is skype video chat which if I remember right from opensuse it just requires me to install the 32 bit lib in terminal.

jonnyp11 how is the opensuse treating you? I liked it but it did not like my Intel HD gpu at all.

jonnyp11

so far on this and my other comp when i try to boot it off my usb it messes up and does something weird, so i haven't run it yet, about to retry since i rewrote the image

DMGrier

VIP Member
Well let us know what you think of it, which version of gnome did you download? 11.4 uses 2.xx but they did do a release of 3.0 but when I installed that one it would not boot. 12.1 That comes out in 19 now I think will only be using 3.0 so they should have that fixed.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Well to burn it to disc if you are using windows you can get active iso burner for free from cnet.com or like when I burned Fedora I just used Braseo burner.

DMGrier

VIP Member
So my question to you all is how many of you have fully replaced Windows and for how long? I have not been using windows now since Ubuntu 8.04, I have gone back to Windows a few times but never longer then a week and then I remember why I stopped using it.

NyxCharon

I've always used Imgburn to burn iso files.

As far as windows, I have to use it because of compatibility issues with my University stuff.
Plus I game a LOT so as much as I love linux, I'll never not be able to not have windows.

However, If i do ever veer away from gaming, I'll probably use only linux for the rest of my life.

jonnyp11

of course i finally get it to work and then it does the weird video crap where everything is randomly scattered and it's got a weird checkered pattern thing going on. gunna see if gnome distro makes any difference

DMGrier

VIP Member
of course i finally get it to work and then it does the weird video crap where everything is randomly scattered and it's got a weird checkered pattern thing going on. gunna see if gnome distro makes any difference

Did you install your video drivers?

DMGrier

VIP Member
I've always used Imgburn to burn iso files.

As far as windows, I have to use it because of compatibility issues with my University stuff.
Plus I game a LOT so as much as I love linux, I'll never not be able to not have windows.

However, If i do ever veer away from gaming, I'll probably use only linux for the rest of my life.

I dont game much anymore and if I do its on a console so I am able to only use linux.

jonnyp11

Did you install your video drivers?

i mean on the install screens it does it, once it's past the loading icon after booting the kernel it goes straight to the funky screen so there is no way to download drivers. luckily i was mostly looking at this stuff for the compaq in my sig, which thankfully the screen doesn't go funky on. of course then i remembered i had changed the usb to the gnome distro and i wanted to try kde, guess i'll dual boot them and see which i like more. since i'm on the topic, is there any way to dual write the usb to have both kde and gnome on it?

pane-free

How many are there? What are their benefits/dissadvantages? Which do you like/use? just wanted to experiment some and also i wanted to try out some of the more difficult ones and look at some of the programming, . . .

Compaq 768MB RAM:
Linux Mint LXDE
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1802
An easy-to-learn, out-of-the-box distro; quick and light Desktop Environment

Custom athlon xp 2400 (? RAM):
Swift Linux / antiX-M11-i686
http://www.swiftlinux.org/about
Debian-based distro; a 'step above' the ubuntu-based LMXDE above in difficulty, but with excellent support; no Desktop Environment, just a Windows Manager (so, very easy on RAM)

Suggestion -- go with what works over what's cool.

RE: Programming -- http://learn.perl.org/tutorials/

What's a DE? https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Desktop_Environment

jonnyp11

got them both running and so far like the kde version more, although it is so different it may take me a while to get used to, but it did instantly recognize my radeon 9600 so that's a plus so far, and i like the built in widgets, mainly the hardware monitor widget so i can easily select which things (currently ram cpu and temp) i want to monitor. but on a side note i noticed that my athlon xp was running at 105 farenheit (40.5 celcius), i know that's low for modern cpus but wasn't sure what to make of it for this old of one.

jonnyp11

of course now i noticed that it doesn't seem to recognize my wusb100 v2 at all or my wusb54g

gunna try out fedora 15 kde and gnome now.

Last edited: