Little Help Building a Desktop?

FuryRosewood

I dont see the reason for an aftermarket cooler if there isnt going to be overclocking involved. Id recommend spending as much as you can on the CPU and leave it be as upgrades generally dont happen. The setup he had was fairly good, just the ram was iffy. I would suggest a SSD for responsiveness but to keep costs down a hdd can be used. I agree on win8, but seeing this has 4 slots and 8 gig dimms still are kinda spendy, i think homepremium will be fine.

CrazyMike

Unless he is going to go over 16GB of RAM in the future and needs to connect to a domain and have the extra networking features Pro has, you can save money on the OS by buying Home Premium SP1 x64.

Windows 8 may be cheaper. I've got it and I quite like it. No reason not to buy it for a new build.

The i3 would be fine for light editing. I've got a friend who does editing on a Phenom II X4 840. Admittedly the Phenom is a proper quad-core whilst the i3 is a dual-core with HT, but I reckon the i3 3220 probably performs about the same or maybe even a little faster. If you can get an i5 though, go for that over the i3 for editing of course.

I'd spend more on the case and get a Zalman Z11. It's got good cable management and it looks too, so he'll love it. ;) It doesn't cost an awful lot more than the Antec One I don't think, but have a look anyway.

That's what I was worried about with the Dual Core. Wasn't sure if it would keep up to the Quaaaaaaaad for performance when doing heavy load.

CrazyMike

I dont see the reason for an aftermarket cooler if there isnt going to be overclocking involved. Id recommend spending as much as you can on the CPU and leave it be as upgrades generally dont happen. The setup he had was fairly good, just the ram was iffy. I would suggest a SSD for responsiveness but to keep costs down a hdd can be used. I agree on win8, but seeing this has 4 slots and 8 gig dimms still are kinda spendy, i think homepremium will be fine.

I was curious, and will have to find out, if 500GB will be enough or if 1T is efficient. As well as, do you think that the 5400rpm is fine? or for the price difference just pick up a 7200rpm. (from what i seen they have basically the same cache. 32-64mb).

spirit

Staff member
That's what I was worried about with the Dual Core. Wasn't sure if it would keep up to the Quaaaaaaaad for performance when doing heavy load.

Oh God have I got you started up on the whole 'Quuaaaddddd' thing too? (btw it only applies when talking about the Core 2 Quad). :D

Anyway, the i3 3220 is probably faster than the X4 840 anyway, so it should be fine for a bit of editing here and there.

If you're concerned, I have an i5 2500K which I do editing on it. Overclocked to 4.3GHz it is absolutely fine for editing, even in Premiere Pro CS5.5. So for editing, the i5 is also a good budget option. You could get a 3570K.

FuryRosewood

he suggests a cpu with a 1333mhz memory controller...with 1866 mhz ram... i dont find him too believeable, that build will be a pain to get to run at rated settings. id get the i series chip like you were previously doing, it will offer much more performance

CrazyMike

he suggests a cpu with a 1333mhz memory controller...with 1866 mhz ram... i dont find him too believeable, that build will be a pain to get to run at rated settings. id get the i series chip like you were previously doing, it will offer much more performance

You talking about me wanting to choose a quad core?

EvanK

You could save a few bucks and go with a 3450, which is $25 cheaper at MemEx, but honestly if you're going to be upping your budget like that you might as well just go all out in the 3550.

gigabiteme

mike, 18.5 benq on at ncix 69.00,also if u check 2X GL2450HM at ncix find someone
else who needs new 24" monitor and upgrade to 24" @2ms and split the cost. just a thought,regards

FuryRosewood

Well yea, eventually a card would be added i assume, just giving something to start with and add that part later, as the whole 'upgrade path' scenario is a fallacy as most people do not get that far and i see it as a waste of money in the long run.

swchoi89

I know you got some help already, but try canadacomputers and ncix.com.

Trick with NCIX is that they have weekly surprise specials... if you're lucky, you might catch some really good deals on all parts.

Canadacomputers does a similar thing but starts from Friday to Sunday.

I never found newegg's price competitive enough compared to NCIX and Canadacomputers so far.